Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

remote control light switch

• 23-02-2016 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

I have two light switches on either side of a bed that are a pain to reach, basically you need to get out of bed and turn them off, and if you think that make me sound lazy then you would be right.

I'm looking for light switches that can be operated with one remote but if this is too expensive I could use separate remotes for each light switch. Are these available or can anyone please tell me if there is a relay with a remote I could wire into the light switch instead?

I would be earning serious browney point if I can come up with a solution here

Comments

You can get both.

Remote controlled relays/sockets (probably Triacs actually) and lighting fixtures. The sockets are cheaper.
    Phillips Hue are a range. I've seen a few in Aldi too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

homer1982 wrote: »
    I have two light switches on either side of a bed that are a pain to reach, basically you need to get out of bed and turn them off, and if you think that make me sound lazy then you would be right.

I'm looking for light switches that can be operated with one remote but if this is too expensive I could use separate remotes for each light switch. Are these available or can anyone please tell me if there is a relay with a remote I could wire into the light switch instead?

I would be earning serious browney point if I can come up with a solution here

I've got a system that basically consists of a device that plugs in before the bulb in the light fitting and is controlled by a light switch that you can just stick to the wall anywhere with no wires. You leave the main light switch on and control the light with this switch.

homer1982 wrote: »
    if you think that make me sound lazy then you would be right.

I moved an hired a registered electrical contractor to move a friend's immersion switch so she didn't have to get out of bed in the mornings once upon a time. :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

mickdw wrote: »
    I've got a system that basically consists of a device that plugs in before the bulb in the light fitting and is controlled by a light switch that you can just stick to the wall anywhere with no wires. You leave the main light switch on and control the light with this switch.

Like these:

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/product/easy-onoff-remote-sockets-3-pack/11831/1.6.7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Graham wrote: »

No, not that type of system.
    its a 'home easy' product. A light switch that you just stick anywhere and a device you fit between bulb and holder.
    We had a situation where a light switch was in a stupidly awkward place and this is a great solution if you dont want to go messing with wiring.
    I had some fun with it too. I was asking parents where they would like a switch and had the new switch in my hand. stuck it to the wall and said job done and turned on the light.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

mickdw wrote: »
    No, not that type of system.
    its a 'home easy' product.and the bulb A light switch that you just stick anywhere and a device you fit between bulb and holder.
    We had a situation where a light switch was in a stupidly awkward place and this is a great solution if you dont want to go messing with wiring.
    I had some fun with it too. I was asking parents where they would like a switch and had the new switch in my hand. stuck it to the wall and said job done and turned on the light.

I missed the bit where you mentioned it plugged into the bulb holder. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

So would a switched extension lead come to think of it if they're pluggable lanterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭homer1982

Thanks for all the replies some very good ideas

Advertisement