Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cognitive distortions

Options
  • 23-02-2016 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking into the 10 Cognitive distortions proposed by Beck and Burns (All or nothing/Overgeneralisation/Labeling etc), but I'm finding it a bit difficult to distinguish some from others.

For example (to me) overgeneralising and all or nothing seem to be very similar.
    Mental filtering and Magnification seem to be very similar as well.

The differences seem to be very subtle and it might just take me some practice to get used to them, but I was wondering if anyone else felt the same? And if so, were there any tricks that worked for you to help you distinguish them?
    Any info would be appreciated

Thank you. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

In some ways, all distortions in cognition are black and white, or all or nothing. The main thing to remember is the line of thinking the individual engages in, does not take into account other views, perspective etc. The thought process is biased. They are logical fallacies.

You are correct. To some extent the differences are subtle.

Maybe try identify your distortions in thinking as a means to grasp a deeper appreciation (we all have them)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

It doesn't really matter how you categorise them. The main thing is that you can see them as distortions. Once they can be seen as distortions, they can be recognised as not entirely reflecting reality.

Start with collecting negative thoughts and themes will emerge.

As you looking at them for yourself or as a prospective CBT therapist?

Advertisement