Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pre NCT Car Wash, Dublin

Options
  • 23-02-2016 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi

Bought a 2012 car on 1st Feb and its due its NCT now. Garage have promised to fix anything should it fail for any reason.

Anyway, its a commuter car so a fair few KM on it so far. Question is do I need to get a full NCT wash before the NCT on Saturday?

If so, does anyone know of garages around Dublin 1 or North Dublin which do this in the evenings?

Thanks

CG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Unless the car is caked in mud etc there is no particular need to wash it.
    The reason to wash it is to et rid of dirt can might cover parts that are inspected.

Take it to a jetwash (with a lance) and give it a good rinse. Try to get lance underneath and into the wheel arches.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭tanko

biko wrote: »
    Unless the car is caked in mud etc there is no particular need to wash it.
    The reason to wash it is to et rid of dirt can might cover parts that are inspected.

Take it to a jetwash (with a lance) and give it a good rinse. Try to get lance underneath and into the wheel arches.

I reckon you'd need to make a bit more of an effort than that and put the car up on ramps so that you get the brake lines etc well cleaned. I've seen a couple of cars fail the NCT because the tester decided the underside wasn't clean enough to examine the car properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

My understanding always was, that you can't really bring something like that for NCT.

378550.JPG

Anything with just regular dist from public road should be fine.
    I Never intentionally washed car for NCT and never had any trouble because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

tanko wrote: »
    I reckon you'd need to make a bit more of an effort than that and put the car up on ramps so that you get the brake lines etc well cleaned. I've seen a couple of cars fail the NCT because the tester decided the underside wasn't clean enough to examine the car properly.

You don't really though tbh. The car would have to be absolutely covered in mud for it to fail an nct. A hot jet wash will easily remove any heavy mud from the wheel arches and underbody without the need of a ramp.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    You don't really though tbh. The car would have to be absolutely covered in mud for it to fail an nct. A hot jet wash will easily remove any heavy mud from the wheel arches and underbody without the need of a ramp.

Agree, I just normally put it through the jet wash in the local garage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CavanGal

Thanks for all the replies. The local garage does a €5 wash so Ill put it through that and hope for the best.

Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Aye, the car could probably do with a wash anyway :)

Advertisement