Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ceiling Height in Dormer after Dry Lining

Options
  • 23-02-2016 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I am looking at dry lining the upstairs bedrooms in my dormer bungalow. The plan is to dry line the knee walls, slopes and ceiling with 62.5mm insulated boards.

I just measured my ceiling height and it's currently 2.44m. If I proceed with my current plan, after skimming the boards, my ceiling height will be reduced to approx 2.38m.

The question is, could this cause me problems with building regulations if I ever decide to sell, since the ceiling heights will be below 2.4m? House was built in 1994. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ebowdia wrote: »
    The question is, could this cause me problems with building regulations if I ever decide to sell, since the ceiling heights will be below 2.4m? House was built in 1994. Thanks.

My opinion is no. 2.4m is a suggested height and we don't sit there with a tape measure to ensure its 2.4m on our site visits.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Means of escape ... Op do you understand your obligations ?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭ebowdia

BryanF, what obligations?

Kceire, so to my understanding, this ceiling height of 2.4m is just a suggested height and not enforceable? 2.38m should be no problem?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,038 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the way i would look at is ... if its a new build it should be constructed to comply

as its an existing build from 1994 its substantially in compliance at 2.38

im not even sure if the 2.4 m 'suggested' dimension existed in 1994

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I personally know a house where the sale fell through due to 2.38m ceilings.

There's a good chance the purchaser just wanted a way out - but either way - this was the stated reason and it wasn't something that was easily changeable by the vendor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

That's a 60mm difference in height. Could you not use a thinner board, meet the 2.4m suggested height and beef up the roof insulation in the flat ceiling section if necessary, or even just beef up the attic insulation anyway. I'd have concerns about future buyers raising it as an issue to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭ebowdia

Thanks guys, I think I'll play it safe and keep a min ceiling height of 2.4m, just in case.

I'll probably go with Supertech's advice and go with a thinner board and/or beef up the insulation above - makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

ebowdia wrote: »
    I'll probably go with Supertech's advice and go with a thinner board and/or beef up the insulation above - makes sense.

Or tackle airtightness;)

Advertisement