Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resources/ help teaching students in a youth setting

Options
  • 23-02-2016 11:01am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm a NQT and will be starting teaching students who have left school early for one reason or another. I'm going to be teaching them IT and some Childcare modules at fetac level 4.

I'm conscious of the fact that the traditional way of teaching hasn't worked for them, so am looking for different ways of how to teach them.

Does anyone have any experience with this and or could point me in the direction of some resources/ websites/ books etc...

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

I presume your working in youthreach ? Being yourself, organised , with a plan but flexible is important. usually when they re there on a voluntary basis there s no war but they may wait to suss you out. Ideally you ll be introduced and supported by a senior colleague. Kids are out of school for a variety of reasons. they may be very it literate but not convinced as to why they should have to learn about databases etc. so selling your subject can be important. letting them see that you are genuinely into your work will help.you might find them more direct than regular second level. its often great work. like every class , patience and humour will go a long way.
    sorry no resources . this might be useful http://www.fetacresources.com/fetacresources/ good luck

Advertisement