Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are club logos copyrighted?

Options
  • 23-02-2016 1:12am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

In Ireland are they protected or copyrighted?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I assume so. They are in other countries. Same with most national teams.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If it's a recognisable trademark then yes (e.g. Leinster / Munster / IRFU logos etc). If it is something simpler / generic from a local club then maybe less so.

Depends in what context you are asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭schaffer1969

Almost certainly.
    Most clubs would protect their property no matter what the sport.
    Logos can be both copyrighted or trademarked once they contain sufficient authorship.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

My friend looking at maybe making some items of clothing with clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭schaffer1969

sasta le wrote: »

If it is done jointly with a club then you would have their permission. If they haven't authorised it then you could run into trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Have you got the clubs permission?

If it's supporter gear for a local club then I can't see them not giving it - unless they sell gear themselves and feel you are trying to get around paying for it.. Better to ask first.

Steve wrote: »
    Have you got the clubs permission?

If it's supporter gear for a local club then I can't see them not giving it - unless they sell gear themselves and feel you are trying to get around paying for it.. Better to ask first.

Oh true he contacted clubs with the idea

Oh true he contacted clubs with the idea

And?

And?

Nothing yet after a few attempts

Poor show from the club.

You have to assume they own the logo and are not giving permission in that case.

Do they already sell supporter gear? Would what your friend is doing undermine their profit from it?

• Advertisement

Poor show from the club.

You have to assume they own the logo and are not giving permission in that case.

Do they already sell supporter gear? Would what your friend is doing undermine their profit from it?

Some do a bit but some only on request

Also another idea was retro style fonts and logos and a modern style he designed himself

Some do a bit but some only on request

So, your friend wants to produce gear for different clubs and sell it to supporters? ergo your original question.. *penny drops*

mmm, yeah, just like the hawkers outside matches with the half and half unofficial scarves.

You won't get much help in this forum mate. :)

He has contacted clubs and wont be producing with out doing it right
    The other designs are retro styling and a modern look

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I think the OP has their answer.

Club's logo's are copyrighted and any usage or likeness must be done with the consent of the club/company

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement