Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Williams- Gangsters at War

Options
  • 22-02-2016 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭

Did anyone just watch this?

Heard it advertised on the radio and TV all week. Set alarm to watch it. What a load of cr*p. What was with that background music? It was so 'bouncy' I couldn't concentrate on anything he was saying. He is so dramatic. Feeding crime

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I think there's a television forum somewhere around here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Hes a showman and a gasbag.He epitomises a certain breed of Irish hack journalist who puts themselves at the forefront of the story.Does he ever actually tell us anything we don't already know about these wasters that hes always supposedly "exposing"?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,468 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The background music was like something from Love/Hate, the actual show presented nothing new. I actually wonder at the moment what's going on, there's clearly blind eyes being shown to displays of wealth and to allowing free movement to people that on paper seem to be fully involved in all sorts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

Half of Ireland's gangsters probably wouldn't exist if it wasnt for Paul Williams glorifying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,119 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

darkdubh wrote: »
    Hes a showman and a gasbag.He epitomises a certain breed of Irish hack journalist who puts themselves at the forefront of the story.Does he ever actually tell us anything we don't already know about these wasters that hes always supposedly "exposing"?

The more I see of him, the less impressed I am with him. He's become almost a "showbiz" investigative reporter and I get the feeling most of what he is telling us is hot air, merely designed to entertain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Paul Williams, the go to guy for ganstas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Most people over the age of 40 have heard of Veronica Guerin/john gilligan/Gerry hutch/christy kinahan/the general etc but most in their 20s and 30s have not and will not know the reason why people are being shot in hotels. I thought it gave a pretty good oversight of the situation and reasons behind the feud. Also it is election week and the more people are informed about what is going on in their country, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I like the way Williams gave us all a little hand with the geography used in the show "Amsterdam in Holland", "Antwerp in Belgium"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭brian_t

davo10 wrote: »
    Most people over the age of 40 have heard of Veronica Guerin/john gilligan/Gerry hutch/christy kinahan/the general etc but most in their 20s and 30s have not and will not know the reason why people are being shot in hotels. I thought it gave a pretty good oversight of the situation and reasons behind the feud. Also it is election week and the more people are informed about what is going on in their country, the better.
    I fully agree with this.

The only thing is though that he spent an hour giving us the same information, that he was able to give us in a 15 minute segment of the Late Late Show three days earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭weshtawake

Like a bad referee in a football match - "he" wants to be the centre of attention.
    Well played out at this stage!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Pretty telling picture.Him collaring that Kinahan guy.One eye on the camera to make sure the real subject of the story,ie Paul Williams, is in the frame.

crimesite_christopher_christy_kinahan.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Williams is a grade A hack. A pure gasbag. A mouthpiece for grotty gutter journalism masquerading as hard hitting public service. His declamative style is meant to convey his utter disdain for the lives of the lowlifes that have made his name and continue to be his meal-ticket. When I hear him talk about them on the TV, or the radio, or wherever he turns up next, his pantomime disdain sounds to my ears like a Michelin chef bestowing highpraise on a particularly succulent piece of foie-gras.

Wouldn't be too surprised if he has some of these EXPOSED GANGSTERS on speed dial for whenever things are going slowly for him in the office -

"Howya Decco. Your favourite investigative reporter here. Listen it's been fairly quiet on the GANGLAND WARFARE front. You couldn't dish out a few punishment beatings or GRISLY MURDERS, just to keep the wheels turning, you know what I mean! I've supposed to have a book out for Christmas; I just need a bit more to give it that extra ooomphh. Any of the new lads coming through with unusual nicknames?... Nothing to complex now. Nouns are best. If it's triple barrelled we won't be able to fit it on the front page..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

darkdubh wrote: »
    Pretty telling picture.Him collaring that Kinahan guy.One eye on the camera to make sure the real subject of the story,ie Paul Williams, is in the frame.

crimesite_christopher_christy_kinahan.jpg

Would you have the balls to confront Christy Kinahan and ask him if he is head of a drugs cartel? Remember this is a guy who kills on a whim. I wouldn't, I suspect it is his high profile which prevents the gangsters from getting rid of someone they consider a real pest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

If you think Paul Williams is a bad "journalist" just look at Donal MacIntyre.

Advertisement