Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accountant becoming teacher

Options
  • 22-02-2016 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi can anyone advise how long it takes to become a secondary school teacher from ACCA accountant? Would u have to start from scratch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Interested in this too, would it just be a case of getting accepted to and doing a hdip?

You need a primary honours degree and then need to do the hDip.

Wish ye luck but beware that there are however no jobs teaching at the moment and most likely won't be for some time as the posts are all being filled through job bridge on a rotating bases.

Even during the boom there wasn't that many teaching posts available. It's one of the reasons why my wife who is qualified second level teacher with a phd is back in collage studying veterinary nursing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

ACCA qualifies you to teach, Business Studies, Economics and accounting up to Leaving Cert level.

You need to qualify for the Hdip, not easy and then you'll need to take two years full time study/work placement to be qualified to teach.

However, as said above you'll most likely be under employed for a significant number of years.

If you have an accountancy practice, even a small one, this might be ideal for you until you can live off your teaching salary.

It's not a route I'd recommend for the faint hearted.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

Back about 12/13 years ago I applied for a HDip twice and was never even called for an interview. Thank goodness. I went full time lecturing for a private college and am now back in practice.

The HDip has been replaced by a two year masters now.

Some masters restrict the numbers of business studies graduates as there are too many qualified.

• Advertisement
Advertisement