Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Astra opc gearbox

Options
  • 22-02-2016 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi all, has anyone had to recondition a gearbox in their astra? How much roughly am I looking at? It's not gone or anything. Maybe it's in my head but I am hearing a flight whine in 6th gear! Just worried it's the gear box as I heard they have a tendency to s**t themselves .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

A buddy of mine had his done in August, it was 1200 euro. Was done by Cork gearbox centre. Been perfect since! Seems inevitable that they go eventually regardless of how it's looked after...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

hilisa wrote: »
    Hi all, has anyone had to recondition a gearbox in their astra? How much roughly am I looking at? It's not gone or anything. Maybe it's in my head but I am hearing a flight whine in 6th gear! Just worried it's the gear box as I heard they have a tendency to s**t themselves .

They do have a tendancy to go but why dont you simply drain the fluid and give it some fresh OEM spec oil, thats the first thing id be doing before worrying about rebuilds.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hilisa

projectgtr wrote: »
    They do have a tendancy to go but why dont you simply drain the fluid and give it some fresh OEM spec oil, thats the first thing id be doing before worrying about rebuilds.

Would that extend the life of it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

hilisa wrote:
    Would that extend the life of it?

Wouldn't be any harm to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Definitely the cheaper option to see if it solves the issue for now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Id imagine that ship has sailed if its making noise already, but it wouldnt hurt to change the oil obviously. The gearbox just has weak bearings so theyll need to be done at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Bit late for a reply but if your getting a whine then I'd say 6th gear end bearing already munched itself unfortunatly. If so get it sorted before it becomes a complete failure.

Hinchy's Opel in limerick will supply a reconditioned box for 650 euro plus fitting if you can't get removed yourself. Have to ask them but just 6th gear end bearing might be cheaper fix.

For future, use a gear box specific oil and look to make it part of your service every 2-3 years depending use of car. The biggest issue with these box's is the GM oil and fact it was declared a non service item, cars of 09 on wards got a different bearing which was worse than original Timken bearings (cheaper probably).

I have had valvoline gear oil in mine for last 4-5 years (serviced every 3yrs) and on original box, when I removed the GM oil it was a burnt sludgy with zero lubrication left in it.

OE oil is only good for short period time and burns out over a year of heavy use as the gearbox gets hot.

Advertisement