Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rwanda: Apply for visa or book flights first?

Options
  • 22-02-2016 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about visiting Rwanda later in the year for a holiday. Ireland doesn't appear to be on the list of countries that can apply for a Visa at points of entry. I've looked at the visa application site and they want an address where you'll be staying and the days you'll be coming into and leaving the country?

I'm just wondering what's the best thing to do here. I could assume the visa process is merely a formality and go ahead and book flights and a hotel for the first few nights and put those on the application. However if my application is denied for any reason then I'll be out of pocket by the cost of the flights and hotel.

Has anyone experience of this kind of chicken & egg scenario and what way did you approach the problem?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭28srf0c

You have to order it beforehand. The best thing to do is call the Rwandan embassy in UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Just in case anyone stumbles across this thread after searching the forums, in the end I ended up booking flights, first night's accommodation and Gorilla Permit before applying for the visa. I used my letter from the Rwandan Tourism Board confirming my Gorilla Permit in lieu of a letter of invitation (one of the requirements for the visa). I applied for the visa using the online portal and initially I got a response back saying that they need an actual letter of invitation. However a few hours later, before I had responded to that initial response I got a second message confirming my visa. I then showed that confirmation message at the airport in Kigali when I travelled there and got my visa without any problems.

Overall I had a fantastic trip. I spent 16 days there so saw the entire country. It's quite small so easy to get around, the people are lovely and it's extremely safe without any hint of corruption. The food is also great and due to the entire country being at over 1,000m in altitude the climate is a lot more bearable then other countries of similar latitude. Most people who you'll need to deal with will speak English although having a few words of Kinyarwanda would be useful as well (nobody seemed to speak French which was my backup language). Most tourists who head there don't venture beyond Kigali or Volcanoes National park (site of the Gorilla trekking) so anywhere else in the country you'll be stared at openly (out of curiosity rather than in a threatening manner) and children will call out to you ("Muzungu!") which is kind of cool.

Advertisement