Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hungarian wine in Dublin

Options
  • 22-02-2016 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Anyone know a place to buy Hungarian wine in Dublin? Ideally where the great quality and value aren't offset by silly import surcharges....
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

There's a hungarian shop beside cineworld, prices were 18-45 for few different tokaji if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

When I lived in Dublin I found that Hungarian shop referred to above the best. Not a massive selection, but some decent stuff at reasonable prices. Corkscrew on Chatham Street had a small selection the last time I was in there, very much the higher end of the market though.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Thanks, will check it out. That's just off Parnell Street, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Was just browsing in Super Valu there on my lunchbreak and they had a couple of bottles. €55 the asking price.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Was just browsing in Super Valu there on my lunchbreak and they had a couple of bottles. €55 the asking price.

Very pricey. Do you know was it top-end stuff. or just a bit of price-gouging for something outside of the usual stock?

Out of my price range in either case....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

True. There are a lot of great, fairly inexpensive reds but I guess they just don't export them. The market here is probably too small but it doesn't seem like there's any drive to publicise them in any case.

Will try the Hungarian shop flagged above in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Xofpod wrote: »
    True. There are a lot of great, fairly inexpensive reds but I guess they just don't export them. The market here is probably too small but it doesn't seem like there's any drive to publicise them in any case.

Will try the Hungarian shop flagged above in any case.

Yeah some of their reds are fantastic, love the Portugeser grape. I didn't realise their wine industry was so good until I spent a long weekend in Budapest, was blown away by it. Speaking to a guy I know in the wholesale wine industry, they export very, very little unfortunately.

Seems to be a combination of (i)the domestic market being big and robust enough (not to mention fiercely proud of all things Hungarian) to consume almost everything they produce, (ii) the producers being too small to export on their own, and (iii) no co-operation between vineyards/producers to export collectively.

Our loss I guess.

Dunnes do a Hungarian sauvignon blanc. I think it costs around a tenner or thereabouts. Part of this range:
    http://www.iheartwines.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

doesn't Vladimer Putin own a winery in Hungary?

Advertisement