Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just bought a "new used" Skoda Superb - questions

Options
  • 22-02-2016 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

I know the car isn't perfect, engine doesn't sound the best, or it could be a wheel bearing....

Shoudl I bring it to my local Indy for a full check up(not service), or bring it to Skoda dealer for a service? Would the dealer notice major problems, or just be intent on doing a service?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Did you buy it privately?

If the car is under warranty it might be worth getting the noise looked at by Skoda. If you have an Indy you trust and it's out of warranty it might be a better option, although my experience of various Skoda dealers has been they're pretty reasonable in terms of costs.

If it needs a service Skoda have a fixed price option. If anything else is needed you can price around on those.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Yeah, bought it privately(no warranty), but at a good price, would know I might need to spend a few quid.
    The fixed cost service from Skoda is €129, which is nothing really from a dealer. But they probably wouldn't spot faults as quickly as an Indy would...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    I know the car isn't perfect, engine doesn't sound the best, or it could be a wheel bearing....

Shoudl I bring it to my local Indy for a full check up(not service), or bring it to Skoda dealer for a service? Would the dealer notice major problems, or just be intent on doing a service?

You need to do a big service anyway yourself after buying...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Yeah, bought it privately(no warranty), but at a good price, would know I might need to spend a few quid.
    The fixed cost service from Skoda is €129, which is nothing really from a dealer. But they probably wouldn't spot faults as quickly as an Indy would...

Depends on the quality of the tech working on it, much the same way as it depends on the quality of the Indy.

I'd probably get a full service done on it as it gives you a starting point in that regard going forward. Tell them you've just bought it and they should highlight anything major.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Yeah, maybe i'll go for the major service(€250), which is reasonable also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

FYI, a wheel bearing won't cause a noise unless you are driving and it would be a humming sounds which increases with speed.
    If the engine is making an unusual noise (diesel or petrol?) then I'd be bringing it straight to a mechanic for diagnosis.

Advertisement