Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to Dublin airport in early hours of the morning

Options
  • 21-02-2016 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭

I booked a flight for a Saturday morning, so I need to get to Dublin Airport for about 5am. I am living on the southside and there are no Dublin buses running at this time, nor are there any air coach stops nearby.

What is the best way to get to the airport at this time that won't cost a fortune?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Which part of South Dublin are you talking about?

Taxi sounds only way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I'd be travelling from the Rathgar/Terenure area.

I have a car, but the long stay car park prices are extortionate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Walk to an air coach bus stop?
    Or get a taxi to a bus stop.
    Or get a taxi to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Get taxi to Dundrum to new airport service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Ask your mam for a lift.
    Cycle.
    Stay in a hotel / travel lodge near airport with free parking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Go to airport night before, wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,563 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Get taxi to Dundrum to new airport service.

That service doesn't start until 07:25 from Dundrum. Useless for the peak period at the airport.

OP - cheapest option would be taxi to city centre and Aircoach from there.

But being honest, your safest option from both a time and hassle perspective is a taxi all the way.

Re parking - did you check Quickpark pricing?

lxflyer wrote: »
    That service doesn't start until 07:25 from Dundrum. Useless for the peak period at the airport.

Sorry I should have read OP's post properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the long and medium stay car parks are very cheap. How long are you going away for? Quickpark do four days for E20... I wouldnt be messing around with aircoach at that hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

lxflyer wrote: »

OP - cheapest option would be taxi to city centre and Aircoach from there.

But being honest, your safest option from both a time and hassle perspective is a taxi all the way.

Re parking - did you check Quickpark pricing?

Agree with this. It can be very competitively priced and easy, when you compare it to the cost of a taxi out and back or the inconvenience of a bus that is not handy and close by!

OP, check it out, best bet by far IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Just checked Quickpark. It is a little bit cheaper than the standard airport parking, but it's still €50 for two weeks parking. I probably shouldn't complain, but when I know you can get a bus there and back for €11 I start to question it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,563 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

VonLuck wrote: »
    Just checked Quickpark. It is a little bit cheaper than the standard airport parking, but it's still €50 for two weeks parking. I probably shouldn't complain, but when I know you can get a bus there and back for €11 I start to question it!

Well unfortunately that's not possible from that area at that hour of the morning.

It's one reason to avoid the first wave of flights (aside from being knackered by mid/late afternoon).

The first northbound 16 gets to the airport for around 0740 which is fine for the second wave after 0915. A return trip on that would cost only €5.20 using LEAP. One should always factor the cost of getting to/from airports (at either end) when looking at flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭A Law

VonLuck wrote: »

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057554803/1/#post98555861
    Mite save u a few euro

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

Get a taxi , you'll get there in one piece and peace of mind and relatively quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

ring around the taxi companies for a fixed price should get it for about 25 then get the 16 home after your trip, Although in reality the 50 euro for the parking isn't too bad even allowing for a bit of petrol. If you drive you have no hassle with worries that the taxi won't turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

You wouldnt believe the amount of people who turn up to the airport the night before and sleep on benches/floor. Mosty tourists skimping on the last night's hotel bill but still a false economy if you ask me as you can't enjoy your last night of holiday. These would be the same tourists who sit 4 of them around a glass of Guinness in the pub for the free trad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ansboroc

KCR cabs- €25 one way- great service

Just in by email:

Prob not suitable for OP but may be of interest to others

To celebrate 2016 being a leap year, Dublin Airport Car Parks are offering 25% off all Short Term Parking up to 31st December 2016. Offer valid on all Short Term bookings made on or before 29th February 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

op 2 weeks with quickpark is only E40 with the discount code "dogs"

Advertisement