Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Summer School" for Physics Undergrads

Options
  • 21-02-2016 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

So, this will be a long shot.

Firstly, I am a first year in an Applied Physics undergrad. I was talking to my academic advisor and he asked me what I wanted to do after my degree and honestly, I didn't have a clear cut answer because I simply don't know. I picked Physics because I enjoyed it and wanted to study it at a deeper level. He recommended that I try and get involved in some sort of Physics placement during the summer or simply something to do with this field. Problem is, I can't find any that would really suit a first year undergrad.

This post probably doesn't fit in this thread but whatever help you can offer would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Fiona G

Troxck wrote: »
    So, this will be a long shot.

Firstly, I am a first year in an Applied Physics undergrad. I was talking to my academic advisor and he asked me what I wanted to do after my degree and honestly, I didn't have a clear cut answer because I simply don't know. I picked Physics because I enjoyed it and wanted to study it at a deeper level. He recommended that I try and get involved in some sort of Physics placement during the summer or simply something to do with this field. Problem is, I can't find any that would really suit a first year undergrad.

This post probably doesn't fit in this thread but whatever help you can offer would be appreciated!

I'm also on the lookout for something like this, please post back here if you find something. I will do the same :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Fiona G wrote: »
    I'm also on the lookout for something like this, please post back here if you find something. I will do the same :)

A lot of what I've found is aimed at those in their third year of an Undergrad. So, no.

We'll just keep looking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

As you know, I'm in 4th year of your course and to be honest I had no idea what I wanted to do after college either until I got to around 3rd year. With your course, the options are so broad in 1st and second year that it's very hard to know what you want.

I know some departments in UL do offer summer lab work but I'm not sure if the Physics Department do. Your best bet would be to call into the Physics Office and ask there.

Advertisement