Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One M8 won't boot

Options
  • 21-02-2016 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi there,

I have a HTC One M8 with meteor for c. 18 months. I was prompted to download a system update recently but when the phone rebooted after downloading, the software no longer worked. The phone boots into a black screen with a red triangle and exclamation point.

It's in a continuous loop then of shutting down, rebooting but still ending at the same blank screen, red triangle and exclamation point.

I have tried the volume and power button to get into the boot screen and I have tried factory reset and that won't work either.

It seems to me that the software is corrupted / incomplete so there is no software available to boot the phone correctly. I'm not tech savvy so I took it to a repair place in the ILAC who weren't able to help and suggested sending the phone away.

I figured there had? to be a way of resolving this so reaching out to see if anyone knows where I could download software onto an SD card or similar (would this work), or, is there a shop they can recommend that would resolve the problem?

I'm specifically looking for a shop that can resolve software problems as I walked into a couple on Moore street but when they saw it was a software and not hardware / screen replacement etc they couldn't help.

The other solution is to send it away with Meteor but they'd actually suggested the other shops first so not sure if I'm just throwing good money after bad here? Is the phone goosed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

https://www.reddit.com/r/htcone/comments/3dwofu/htc_m9_stuck_on_red_triangle_with_exclamation/

Instructions are for the M9, but should work for the M8 too.

Clear cache once you're in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭KFed

Mr E wrote: »

Instructions are for the M9, but should work for the M8 too.

Clear cache once you're in there.

Hi mr e,

Thanks for the advice. I was able to wipe the cache but unfortunately the phone still boots to the red triangle error message. Is there anything else I can try?

KFed wrote: »
    Hi mr e,

Thanks for the advice. I was able to wipe the cache but unfortunately the phone still boots to the red triangle error message. Is there anything else I can try?

For example, there's an apply update from s. D. Card option- is there any way I could download software through another phone and use an ad card to insert to my phone and boot that way?

The next step is factory reset, but you said that didn't work? What happened? Red triangle again?

Did you take these steps?

https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-factory-reset-the-htc-one-m8

Mr E wrote: »
    The next step is factory reset, but you said that didn't work? What happened? Red triangle again?

Did you take these steps?

Hi mr e,

I tried the factory reset just now - had tried it before prior to the cache wipe - but no joy again this time around.

It just goes through the reset screen (green circle type) but again fails to boot then and loads to the dreaded red triangle.

Is there anything else I can try?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

It's in a continuous loop then of shutting down, rebooting but still ending at the same blank screen, red triangle and exclamation point.

It seems to me that the software is corrupted / incomplete so there is no software available to boot the phone correctly.

The other solution is to send it away with Meteor but they'd actually suggested the other shops first so not sure if I'm just throwing good money after bad here? Is the phone goosed?

As you said, it's a corrupt ROM, so the phone can get past the boot screen!
    So, just connect it to a computer, and boot into recovery. Then push this ROM to your phone using ADB.

Thanks a mill, I'll try that later on today and let you know how I go!

Appreciate all the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

As you said, it's a corrupt ROM, so the phone can get past the boot screen!
    So, just connect it to a computer, and boot into recovery. Then push this ROM to your phone using ADB.

That page contains US-specific ROMs only, from what I can understand.

I'm also on Meteor, have an m8, for 18 months, and had a very similar issue after the latest update (couldn't reboot, though mine was actually stuck on a boot screen).

Tried ADB, which failed, seemingly due to lack of storage space on the device. Finally succeeded loading the ROM from the SD card using that recovery menu option.

I used a ROM that gave me version 6.12.401.4.

So:
    - Download the file. It's a zip file, but note it can't be opened as such (took me a while to realise, while wondering why it was corrupt--it wasn't).
    - Copy it to the ROOT OF the SD card (I used an adapter to a full sized SD, and accessed it from my laptop.
    - Go to Recovery and select the right option from there.
    - Wait.
    - Hope.

I believe I got the file from XDA-developers.com, but I'll see if I can find a proper link once I'm on a desktop (yes, using the m8 right now).

Here's the file:

0P6BIMG_M8_UL_M60_SENSE70_MR_HTC_Europe_6.12.401.4_Radio_1.29.214500021.12G_20.72.4196t.01_release_464360_signed.zip

Some sources suggested renaming the file to give it a shorter name, before copying it to the SD card, which I did (I used 0P6BIMG.zip)

HI there,

I've downloaded Android SDK, Java and managed to get as far as using platform tools on ADB. However, ADB won't recognize my actual phone. HTC sync manager won't pick up the phone either.

Is there anyway to get ADB to recognize the phone? How do I manage to push the software from the laptop onto the phone itself?

Sorry for the multiple requests here, have put in a solid 3 hours at this tonight and still seems to be an obstacle just when you think you're progressing.

• Advertisement

Read hognef's last 2 posts. You may not need ADB. Just download that file and put it on your memory card. Reboot to recovery and flash it.

should windows pick up a storage card on the phone?

When you say put the downloaded file onto the storage card - I can't see anything in my computer or anything that I can transfer the file to?

This is the bit I'm struggling with - the software is on my laptop but I can't seem to transfer it to the phone / phone storage at all.

I apologise, I'm sure this is basic stuff but if my laptop can't 'see' the phone, how can I copy the software across?

Is there any benefit if I can get my hands on a friends Htc One M8 and somehow use that to download the software onto a card? I'm guessing the laptop should recognize that no problem, store the software on a card and then physically put the card into my own phone? Would this work?

should windows pick up a storage card on the phone?

When you say put the downloaded file onto the storage card - I can't see anything in my computer or anything that I can transfer the file to?

This is the bit I'm struggling with - the software is on my laptop but I can't seem to transfer it to the phone / phone storage at all.

I apologise, I'm sure this is basic stuff but if my laptop can't 'see' the phone, how can I copy the software across?

Windows won't recognise the storage card through the phone at the recovery stage, no.

Is there any benefit if I can get my hands on a friends Htc One M8 and somehow use that to download the software onto a card? I'm guessing the laptop should recognize that no problem, store the software on a card and then physically put the card into my own phone? Would this work?

That should work. Alternatively, so should something like this: http://www.currys.ie/Mobile/Product/advent-acr14-usb-20-memory-card-reader/322864/400.5.0#ctl00_ctl00__nestedContent__mainpageContent_ProductFamilyDetailsView1_liProductDetails

Advertisement