Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laminate Flooring in new build!

Options
  • 21-02-2016 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi All, I've just recently bought a new build in an estate and went to a flooring shops to price some laminate I was shocked at the price because the laminate itself wasn't that expensive anyway here come my two questions:

The shop says we need to screed the floor before putting down the laminate, they said the floor is very rough but we're getting a good quality underlay. Is this right could we not just put the floor down and save ourselves €700 - I'm also worried that my brand new kitchen will be destroyed

Second question, I mostly choose laminate because I wanted a clean run all through the downstairs so no joins between room etc - but the shop day that the laminate will need room for expansion so we have to have joins in each room and then also the space under the skirting. Which again adds to the cost because the joins are pricey enough

I'd really appreciate any advice from those in the know.

Thanks so much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭e.r

if the floor is as bad as the shop say, is builder still on site that they could smooth it?
    No reason for trims at each door it makes it easier to install. But can be run through in one ( looks better too)
    Would price in another shop as that place either is unsure themselves or trying to rip you.

Ps on putting it down yourself, you're unsure about a lot of things and would prob get a expert(no disrespect)

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭e.r

aldo best to remove skirting, looks better than scotia

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Loda

e.r wrote: »
    aldo best to remove skirting, looks better than scotia

Thanks a mill, def won't be putting it down myself and I've asked that the skirting be left off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Best to use some type of underlay and not lay floor directly on concrete.- although €700 seems an awful lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

A top quality underlay won't hide the humps and hollows in the concrete floor if it's a new build the floor condition should of been picked up buy your engineer in the snag list and left level and smooth for future finishes buy the builder.
    700 € Sounds excessive but it does depend on how bad the floor is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 topcelt

Loda wrote: »
    Hi All, I've just recently bought a new build in an estate and went to a flooring shops to price some laminate I was shocked at the price because the laminate itself wasn't that expensive anyway here come my two questions:

The shop says we need to screed the floor before putting down the laminate, they said the floor is very rough but we're getting a good quality underlay. Is this right could we not just put the floor down and save ourselves €700 - I'm also worried that my brand new kitchen will be destroyed

Second question, I mostly choose laminate because I wanted a clean run all through the downstairs so no joins between room etc - but the shop day that the laminate will need room for expansion so we have to have joins in each room and then also the space under the skirting. Which again adds to the cost because the joins are pricey enough

I'd really appreciate any advice from those in the know.

Thanks so much[/quote

With regard to the slab condition you will be able to get away with minor deviations of around 3-4 mm per 3mtr run. Ie if you put a 3meter straight edge on the floor, level, you should have no more than 4mm clerance under it in any direction.
    so depending on the slab condition you may need to put a screed on it. As for the expansion joins most if not all manufactuers will require an expansion join in door ways for waranty to be valid. But depending on the size of the area you could get away witout the joins in the door ways. Check your flooring online and look for the instructions to see maximum width and lenght before control joints are needed. Most of the floors I install are 13mtrs L x 8mtrs W before joins are required

Advertisement