Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android tablet minus facebook twitter

Options
  • 21-02-2016 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

Anyone know of an android tablet where facebook and twitter apps can be removed. i have a gotab but they are hard coded into it, just wasting bandwidth

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Most Android devices don't come with Twitter or Facebook installed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭EternalHope

Most Android devices don't come with Twitter or Facebook installed
    gotab did and they cannot be removed. they can but they come back. You know anything about
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2969228/Trail/searchtext%3ETABLET.htm

gotab did and they cannot be removed. they can but they come back. You know anything about
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2969228/Trail/searchtext%3ETABLET.htm

No idea, are you are looking for a budget tablet? I know nothing about budget ones and usually try to stick to devices like Nexus series that offer ongoing software support for 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If you dont log in to the apps how are they using bandwidth?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Not sure what you mean by "wasting bandwidth" but surely if you don't provide the in built apps with your login information, they wont any resources?

• Advertisement

Not sure what you mean by "wasting bandwidth" but surely if you don't provide the in built apps with your login information, they wont any resources?
    ok i do not want them anyway. i do not use them. i think they check in background for updates

ok i do not want them anyway. i do not use them. i think they check in background for updates

How much data would that take up though?
    You'd only expect 1 app update a month usually.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

How much data would that take up though?
    You'd only expect 1 app update a month usually.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.
    i do not want fb or twitter especially fb in principle. in a pc i can get rid of anything i do not want

i do not want fb or twitter especially fb in principle. in a pc i can get rid of anything i do not want

The app cannot do anything unless you login, it will not run in the background unless you set it up

Just don't use the apps then!
    First you say you don't want them taking up bandwidth, and now you don't want them for ideological reasons.
    Which is it?

• Advertisement

Just don't use the apps then!
    First you say you don't want them taking up bandwidth, and now you don't want them for ideological reasons.
    Which is it?
    both apply
    i asked if anyone knew of a tablet without them. if you don't then no need to reply or tell me what not to do

both apply
    i asked if anyone knew of a tablet without them. if you don't then no need to reply or tell me what not to do

Fair enough. I'm just trying to get across that it's a ridiculous reason to spend money on a new tablet when there are simple ways around the "issue".

Fair enough. I'm just trying to get across that it's a ridiculous reason to spend money on a new tablet when there are simple ways around the "issue".
    the old one is broke

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

the old one is broke

A Nexus 7 or 9 is what you would want to be looking at, the apps don't come pre installed and its up to you if you want to install them or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Utterly ridiculous to buy a new tablet because you don't approve on an app or two on your current one.

If you root the tablet you can uninstall them.

Fieldog wrote: »
    A Nexus 7 or 9 is what you would want to be looking at, the apps don't come pre installed and its up to you if you want to install them or not...
    so what is on it. just the os?
    this one will not have apps?
    the one in argos is 89 euro. i only want it for some web searching/email and reading pdf book/watching odd film and listening to music. I have the small micro SD card from the old one with my files on it. No interest in apps/games fb twitter/ etc

Thanks did not know that you could get them without apps

so what is on it. just the os?
    this one will not have apps?
    the one in argos is 89 euro. i only want it for some web searching/email and reading pdf book/watching odd film and listening to music. I have the small micro SD card from the old one with my files on it. No interest in apps/games fb twitter/ etc

Thanks did not know that you could get them without apps

You'd be insane to buy a new tablet just to get rid of some bloatware, at least try and remove it from your gotab before forking out €150 on a new tablet.

The nexus comes with pure android meaning only Google apps will come preinstalled.

What is the exact model of Gotab do you have ? What exactly is broken with it?

FrostyJim wrote: »
    You'd be insane to buy a new tablet just to get rid of some bloatware, at least try and remove it from your gotab before forking out €150 on a new tablet.

The nexus comes with pure android meaning only Google apps will come preinstalled.

What is the exact model of Gotab do you have ? What exactly is broken with it?
    Gotab GTD7

The screen is smashed and it will not start. flashing colours on the screen for a minute. It fell outside on the cement screen side own.

I did try several times to remove fb and twitter. they come back. they are hard coded in to it as far as i know

Gotab GTD7

The screen is smashed and it will not start. flashing colours on the screen for a minute. It fell outside on the cement screen side own.

I did try several times to remove fb and twitter. they come back. they are hard coded in to it as far as i know
    Ah right, if it's smashed then it time for a new tablet. Nexus 7 (2013 version) would be a good choice. No bloatware, just plain android.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

An Amazon Fire is your best bet. Only 50 pounds, best to add a 32Gb card with the order, for the price it is a great bit of kit

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    An Amazon Fire is your best bet. Only 50 pounds, best to add a 32Gb card with the order, for the price it is a great bit of kit
    Its full of ads for amazon? is there bloatware preinstalled apps?
    The home screen icons cannot be removed on reviewer says

Sounds like you need a nexus then so. The fire is cheap because it's subsidised by Amazon to promote their offerings. Nexus is subsidised by Google so you only get Google apps

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No it's not , there is one ad that changes on the unlock screen when you enter your pin, it's background noise.
    There's a few apps I don't use that are on it but that's the same with ever tablet.

I googled the nexus 7. some said lots of google apps on it. lots? Do you have to stay logged into gmail all the time to use it? On my tablet the only way to avoid that was to delete the gmail account

I googled the nexus 7. some said lots of google apps on it. lots? Do you have to stay logged into gmail all the time to use it? On my tablet the only way to avoid that was to delete the gmail account

The Nexus is made by Google, of course there's Google apps. You don't have to sign in but you will lose most of the features that makes Android so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭The Gardener

ted1 wrote: »

I second Ted1 on the Amazon Fire, I bought one in Argos a couple of weeks ago for €59 mainly to use as an ereader to use alongside my basic Kindle ereader which has no backlight. Very few apps preinstalled, certainly no Facebook or Twitter, no ads on the version I brought, if you buy the cheaper version you'll get the ads. Not a bad piece of kit for the price, and that's coming from someone who uses an iPad as their tablet of choice. You are stuck with purchasing your apps from Amazon however as Google Playstore is not installed, there are ways around this (apparently!)

Have a look on YouTube for hands-on / review videos of all of the above, will give you an idea what they are all like.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Amazon Fire is great for the price, but if tracking software is what you are worried about you'd have a seizure if you saw amazon os over android :D.
    All android devices track once you login to anything.

+1 for the Nexus and Asus Memo Pad are great too. (Neither have FB or Twitter by default).

Allyall wrote: »
    Amazon Fire is great for the price, but if tracking software is what you are worried about you'd have a seizure if you saw amazon os over android :D.
    All android devices track once you login to anything.

+1 for the Nexus and Asus Memo Pad are great too. (Neither have FB or Twitter by default).
    what do you mean by log in? with my gotab i did not log in anywhere unless turning it on is considered logging in. I had a swipe to unlock not a password. Thanks will look at asus memopad

• Advertisement

I second Ted1 on the Amazon Fire, I bought one in Argos a couple of weeks ago for €59 mainly to use as an ereader to use alongside my basic Kindle ereader which has no backlight. Very few apps preinstalled, certainly no Facebook or Twitter, no ads on the version I brought, if you buy the cheaper version you'll get the ads. Not a bad piece of kit for the price, and that's coming from someone who uses an iPad as their tablet of choice. You are stuck with purchasing your apps from Amazon however as Google Playstore is not installed, there are ways around this (apparently!)
    now 74
    i presume that is the one?

Advertisement