Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Society Dublin

Options
  • 21-02-2016 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

If anyone is interested in playing or taking up golf we cater for all levels in the BGA.

Membership €25

Feb: R&R @ 7:30€25

Mar: Deer Park @ 08:30 €40

Apr: St Margaret's @ 10:30 €40

May: Elm Green @ 8:00 €40 Inc breakie

June: Donabate @ 07:30 €40

July: Powerscourt @ 09:30 €40

Aug: Roganstown @10:45 €40

Sept: Dundrum House (Capts Day) @ 13.00 €130 Inc buggie

Oct: Grange Castle @ 10:45 €40

Nov: R&R @ 08:30 €25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭e.r

Your prices are a little steep €40 for deerpark !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,097 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

PiNgWiZaRd wrote: »
    If anyone is interested in playing or taking up golf we cater for all levels in the BGA.

Membership €25

There must be some serious prizes on offer.
    The weekend rake rate for R&R is €19, Elm Green can be block booked for €22 and I'll stop there.

The €130 for Dundrum Inc buggy is good value. A bit awkward to get the buggy home though.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 PiNgWiZaRd

PARlance wrote: »
    There must be some serious prizes on offer.
    The weekend rake rate for R&R is €19, Elm Green can be block booked for €22 and I'll stop there.

The €130 for Dundrum Inc buggy is good value. A bit awkward to get the buggy home though.

It averages out at the end of the year. Whatever is left in the kitty gets doled out at the end of the year in prize money. If you want to pay 19 for the R&R go ahead but there wil be no prizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭bluebottle102

Membership €25

Is the Captains Day Dundrum House GC in Tipperary??

Is the Captains Day Dundrum House GC in Tipperary??

Hi,

Yes it is. Overnight stay with dinner, Breakfast and a round of golf.

Thanks,

Dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Hi,

Thanks,

Dave

J

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭bluebottle102

Hi,

Thanks,

Dave

The reason I'm asking is there was a fire in part of the hotel around Oct of last year. I've heard in the past couple of weeks that it will be closing its doors for good at the end of the month (hotel, golf club, leisure centre the lot)

Might be worth phoning them just to clarify

It averages out at the end of the year. Whatever is left in the kitty gets doled out at the end of the year in prize money. If you want to pay 19 for the R&R go ahead but there wil be no prizes.

I think you've certainly overpriced your events.
    You're looking for a €25 sub and are probably clearing (If you're not, you should be) €10 for each event, i.e what you're charging looks €10 more than the expected society rates from most of those course. Powerscourt is probably the only fee that is in the right ballpark.

Assuming an average society of 30 members with 20 playing each event:
    €750 (30 × €25) kitty from membership and a €200 (20 ×€10) kitty from each event.
    That's somewhere in the region of €2,000 to €2,500 in a prize fund by my estimates.

I would happily pay €40 per event but would be expecting better courses than Elm Green, Deer Park and Grange Castle for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

The reason I'm asking is there was a fire in part of the hotel around Oct of last year. I've heard in the past couple of weeks that it will be closing its doors for good at the end of the month (hotel, golf club, leisure centre the lot)

Might be worth phoning them just to clarify

This is 100% accurate. The whole place will be closing towards the end of March. The staff were given 30 days notice(+2 weeks) about 3 weeks ago.

There are rumours that it is due to the fact that it is sold and will be opening again in the near future but this is pure speculation. So yes i would say give em a buzz.

kiers47 wrote: »
    This is 100% accurate. The whole place will be closing towards the end of March. The staff were given 30 days notice(+2 weeks) about 3 weeks ago.

There are rumours that it is due to the fact that it is sold and will be opening again in the near future but this is pure speculation. So yes i would say give em a buzz.

It's booked so ill give them a buzz and see what's going on.

Thanks lads

• Advertisement

I think you've certainly overpriced your events.
    You're looking for a €25 sub and are probably clearing (If you're not, you should be) €10 for each event, i.e what you're charging looks €10 more than the expected society rates from most of those course. Powerscourt is probably the only fee that is in the right ballpark.

Assuming an average society of 30 members with 20 playing each event:
    €750 (30 × €25) kitty from membership and a €200 (20 ×€10) kitty from each event.
    That's somewhere in the region of €2,000 to €2,500 in a prize fund by my estimates.

I would happily pay €40 per event but would be expecting better courses than Elm Green, Deer Park and Grange Castle for that.

Never assume anything. Society is only new so numbers is an issue ( Hence the post for new members on boards) last year we had 20 members with outings averaging 12-16 turnout which is poor. Prizes average out at 70 per outing. The more members the cheaper it will be but the society has to cover it's own costs. It's a catch 22 at the moment.

Never assume anything. Society is only new so numbers is an issue ( Hence the post for new members on boards) last year we had 20 members with outings averaging 12-16 turnout which is poor. Prizes average out at 70 per outing. The more members the cheaper it will be but the society has to cover it's own costs. It's a catch 22 at the moment.

Without information, you have to make assumptions.

I would either look at reducing your event prices (for the existing courses) or get better courses for the existing prices. I think you will struggle to grow a society with the present offering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

In general at these type of things people would rather pay more for a better course than pay more for a better prize.

Prizes are usually token stuff and the real prize is playing good courses with good company.

Without information, you have to make assumptions.

I would either look at reducing your event prices (for the existing courses) or get better courses for the existing prices. I think you will struggle to grow a society with the present offering.

To be honest I agree with you regarding prices. Unfortunately I don't run it this year. Last year the price was 30 per round but with a loss in members this year we struggled the break even with a 70% turn out. With a guaranteed 20 members a turn out prizes won't suffer and prices will go down. But I see your point completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

At €485 in total for 10 rounds of golf, sure you can membership at Corrstown for 1k and have 27 holes and unlimited golf.

I know everyone likes to try different courses, but it isn't really great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

When everything is considered Society Golf is the most expensive way to play golf, especially if you're a member of a club.
    Over the top green fees and playing for crap prizes that you neither want or need.
    However for people who aren't club members it is a great way of meeting new people and playing different courses.
    Value for money has become more important and I suppose that will differ from individual to individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Ollieboy wrote: »
    At €485 in total for 10 rounds of golf, sure you can membership at Corrstown for 1k and have 27 holes and unlimited golf.

I know everyone likes to try different courses, but it isn't really great value.

Good man Ollie, never miss an opportunity to promote your home course:pac:;), and at €48.50 per round incl prizes and one hotel overnight stay, it doesn't represent that bad value to be fair.

What was supposed to be a recruitment drive ends in carnage. Thanks everyone for their opinions and suggestions. Genuinely appreciate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

mafc wrote: »
    When everything is considered Society Golf is the most expensive way to play golf, especially if you're a member of a club.
    Over the top green fees and playing for crap prizes that you neither want or need.
    However for people who aren't club members it is a great way of meeting new people and playing different courses.
    Value for money has become more important and I suppose that will differ from individual to individual.

This is a good point. Society Golf is going to be more expensive but there's a nice camaraderie to it that you may not get elsewhere.

I'm in this society myself and I would say if anyone is just starting out or isn't a member of a club it's a really great way to play real competitive golf in a very relaxed environment.

Perhaps we need to take a look at the outgoings on prizes though since guys here seem to be suggesting that could be an issue. Cheers for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Hey PingWizard

why not join the Boards Society?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

... last year we had 20 members with outings averaging 12-16 turnout which is poor...

I think that's actually not bad at all, loads of courses would welcome 12-16 full paying green fees on a Saturday morning with some grub money perhaps after the round. Lovely sized outing to stitch onto the timesheet.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭wally79

Seve OB wrote: »
    Hey PingWizard

why not join the Boards Society?

Is it still open to join?

Waiting for my usual societies dates to come out this week. If they don't overlap i am thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

wally79 wrote: »
    Is it still open to join?

Waiting for my usual societies dates to come out this week. If they don't overlap i am thinking about it.

absolutely, we are always open to new members, or even if you want to just pop along to a couple as a guest

Advertisement