Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stout.

• 21-02-2016 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

Been a lager drinker most of my life.
    Got into craft stuff last year and loving trying all the different IPA and pale ales..tied a few amber ales as well.
    Only thing I haven't ventured into is stouts..
    So I want to try a few.
    Should I go straight for Guinness or try something crafty...any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Trouble Brewing's Dark Arts and O'Haras stout are two good ones to start with, as is 8 Degrees Knockmealdown Porter

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Porterhouse Wrasslers XXXX (the draught version, not the bottles which are different) is one of my favourites.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,344 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Another vote for Dark Arts, it's a great beer, but my personal favourite is Galway Hooker Stout. There's all sorts of amazing stouts around, but there's no point in going going too weird to begin with. However if you're looking for something a little different I'd recommend Williams Brothers March of the Penguins if you come across it. It's a lovely smooth, easy to drink stout that I think is a good introduction to the style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I love the Black's Kinsale Pale Ale. .has anyone drank their world's end stout?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Dungrvan, trouble, 8degree have great stouts /porters in bottles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭poitinstill

try them all. guiness draught is at low - middle end of scale .. i like the pint bottle or the extra though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

World's End is THE stout of the moment as far as I'm concerned. Followed by Kinnegar Flying Saucer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Depends on what you're looking for. For more traditional style stouts, either only available on draft or better than bottles due to being nitro; O'Hara's Irish Stout, Porterhouse Wrassler's XXXX, and 9 White Deer Lon Dubh are my go to stouts. The main problem is none of them are widely available, so unless your local has a tap you won't be able to drink them regularly.

Bottled stouts, out of the regularly available ones, I generally stick with O'Hara's Leann Folláin, Galway Bay's Buried at Sea, or West Kerry's Carraig Dubh.

But half the fun of drinking good beer is the variety of stuff available, so I tend to just try every new stout I see, especially any seasonal specials or one-offs. There's no point really in just going for guinness, since you can buy it in practically every single bar in the country, and there are so many better options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

World's End is very nice. To start off, you can't go wrong with the readily available bottled stuff like Leann Folláin, Buried At Sea, Dark Arts, and Guinness Foreign Extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Been a lager drinker most of my life.
    Got into craft stuff last year and loving trying all the different IPA and pale ales..tied a few amber ales as well.
    Only thing I haven't ventured into is stouts..
    So I want to try a few.
    Should I go straight for Guinness or try something crafty...any recommendations?

I'm about a year ahead or two ahead of you on a similar journey!
    Never had a stout until 12 months ago.
    Irish Stouts or Porters I've really enjoyed include
    Galway Hooker, O'Hara Leann Faolin, Brehon Shanco Dubh, Kinnegar Yannaroody
    All of which can be picked up at reasonable prices.
    White Hags - Black Boar Imperial Stout is something special, but not sure I'd jump into at one just yet.

Enjoy the journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Good call on Shanco Dubh. One of my favourite Irish ones but I've not seen it in my usual off licences in recent times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Blacks of Kinsale Model T Stout, Galway Bay Buried at Sea, O'Haras Leann Follain are my go-to stouts.

If you can find it at the moment, try out Kinnegar's Flying Saucer. It's a special edition foreign export stout and it's absolutely savage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

afaik Shanco is kind of seasonal. Great beer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,254 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If you really like drinking chocolate then it might be for you.
    Way too much drinking chocolate flavour for my liking.
    (But i've never liked Porterhouse's Chocolate truffle stout either which everyone seems to rave about)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

On this subject, anyone seen White Gypsy Russian Imperial Stout on sale in any off licence chains? I've tried Carry Out and O'Briens and neither have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭earlytobed

For something different, sometimes I like Young's Double Chocolate Stout

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

earlytobed wrote: »
    For something different, sometimes I like Young's Double Chocolate Stout

Porterhouse Chocolate Truffle Stout is out soon too, similar style beer.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Porterhouse Chocolate Truffle Stout is out soon too, similar style beer.

last year's was so sickly, like Cadbury's drinking chocolate

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

last year's was so sickly, like Cadbury's drinking chocolate

"Pure Dairy Milk" is what I'm after. :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The Trouble/Coisbo Coalition stout currently on cask at The Black Sheep is exactly that. It's gorgeous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Had my first pint of 5 Lamps Black Pitts porter on draught a couple of weeks ago, lovely flavour with a definite chocolate taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Uodate:
    I had a few pints of Shandon stout at the Doolin festival which I liked.
    Have gotten a taste for murphys on draught (served at my local steakhouse)

Got a few cans of beamish over the week which I have enjoyed.
    I'm going to give leann foilin a go as a lot of drinkers rate it highly.

It's not really anything like Beamish or Murphy's, or even Shandon stout.

It has a deeper flavour, more dark chocolate and roast malt to it.

Excellent stout though.

Has anyone tried Brehon Brewhouse Oatmeal Stout? Picked up a bottle in Aldi yesterday and I wasn't impressed at all. I'm wondering if there was something wrong with the bottle as it poured with absolutely zero head and I picked up no roast flavour at all. It was sickly sweet. Interested if that's how it is usually or if the batch is bad?

Also in Aldi, I picked up a bottle of Mescan Westporter Belgian style stout. This one was interesting, it's a style I don't have much experience with. It was nothing to write home about but at least they tried something different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Has anyone tried Brehon Brewhouse Oatmeal Stout? Picked up a bottle in Aldi yesterday and I wasn't impressed at all. I'm wondering if there was something wrong with the bottle as it poured with absolutely zero head and I picked up no roast flavour at all. It was sickly sweet. Interested if that's how it is usually or if the batch is bad?

Also in Aldi, I picked up a bottle of Mescan Westporter Belgian style stout. This one was interesting, it's a style I don't have much experience with. It was nothing to write home about but at least they tried something different.

Ha. Had both of these yesterday after a trip to Aldi.
    Similar, wasnt too impressed with the Brehon Stout, not as good as their Shanco Dubh. No head on pour and seemed a little watery for me. Still at 2.69 for 500ml, it was decent value all the same.

I really enjoyed the Mescan Westporter Belgian style stout, will had to stop off and pick up a few more of these.

I'd definitely give the Mescan another go and I'll be trying their red ale too. Some great choice in Aldi now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Had Siren's Blacklight Banana Imperial Stout from Molloy's and it had the most subtle and natural banana I've tasted yet. Very nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Similar, wasnt too impressed with the Brehon Stout, not as good as their Shanco Dubh. No head on pour and seemed a little watery for me. Still at 2.69 for 500ml, it was decent value all the same.

I had a bottle of this on Sunday, and there was a great head on it. I had to pour the second one slower to avoid such a large head in fact.
    I enjoyed mine i have to say.
    It wasn't as nice as the foxes rock which i really liked (i know it's an alltech brew).

Advertisement