Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Taxing car without logbook..?

Options
  • 21-02-2016 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭

Is there anyway around taxing a new car without having to wait until the car is in my name? I bought a car last Thursday and the tax office won't let me tax it until it's in my name which could take up to 2 weeks.

I just really need the car and have the money to get it taxed now. The previous owner already send the logbook off so getting it back is not an option atm. The car has been out of tax for a while which is why i'm worried the guards could give me a hard time with it..

Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

did u try tax it online

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You need to wait until ownership transfers over to you. Check the motortax website with the car's reg and it will tell you when it transfers. You can then request a replacement PIN to tax it online. If you tax it online before it transfers over to you then the disc will be sent to the previous owner's address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

+1 although I got the impression he was there in person on which case they could have handed him the disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Also, you would be paying arrears if you tax it before it transfers to you. Keep checking every morning and evening for the transfer online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

+1 although I got the impression he was there in person on which case they could have handed him the disc.

I was mate. Like a fool I went all the way in, paid a fiver for parking and waited 20 minutes in the que to be told ''nothing we can do till the previous owner sends the book to the department''..

Now I've to wait potentially 2 weeks + until it's in my name.. :mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

It's a bad system we have in Ireland for transferring vehicle ownership. When I was living in New Zealand in 2004 - and bought a car - myself and the seller simply went to the local post office (I paid over $10) and the car was transferred into my name there-and-then. I got a reciept and the log book was posted out within two weeks.

You may just keep checking online to see when it's in your name. As soon as it is you can tax it online (Btw, you dont need a pin for 'first taxing' in your name. I did this for my father when he bought his car 6 months ago. The procedure is explained when you log in to tax it).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

isnt the pin the last few numbers of the vin?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alan_007_

You'll be fine to drive it without tax until you get the change of ownership back in the post.
    I got caught by an ANPR camera during the summer 3 days after buying the car and it sent the fine automatically. But I appealed it saying that I had just bought the car and the fine was withdrawn.
    Just make sure to tax it as soon as you get the logbook.

Alan_007_ wrote: »
    You'll be fine to drive it without tax until you get the change of ownership back in the post.
    I got caught by an ANPR camera during the summer 3 days after buying the car and it sent the fine automatically. But I appealed it saying that I had just bought the car and the fine was withdrawn.
    Just make sure to tax it as soon as you get the logbook.

This is BAD advice. Our system sucks, but you're inviting trouble if you drive it without tax. You might be OK if you don't get caught. But, how many chancers driving without tax use the "I only bought it" excuse when pulled over?

What's worse is even if the car changes to your name at the end of this month, you have to pay for this whole month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

goz83 wrote: »
    This is BAD advice. Our system sucks, but you're inviting trouble if you drive it without tax. You might be OK if you don't get caught. But, how many chancers driving without tax use the "I only bought it" excuse when pulled over?

What's worse is even if the car changes to your name at the end of this month, you have to pay for this whole month.

It's easy to verify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Skatedude wrote: »
    isnt the pin the last few numbers of the vin?

Only on brand new cars.

I filled out a tax renewal form in the tax office on the day and when I discovered I couldnt tax it the girl stamped the form saying '' please return to tax office'' so the form atleast proves I tried to tax it anyway.. You'd still get a nasty guard who'd take it.

The system is a joke the way it is. No wonder so many get away with not paying the tax..

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    It's easy to verify.

Not really. The seller could be a dodgy friend, or even a made up person and then backdate the logbook and send it off. "Shannon mustn't have it yet guard". A cousin of mine used to do this a few years back. Thankfully he was banned in the end. No insurance.,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Last 6 digits of the VIN will allow you to tax the car.

Car has been in my name since the 22/2/16. I retrieved my pin and it's trying to charge me an extra 38 euro for jan? Sure I only bought it in feb?

Can you blame people for not taxing their cars. The usual you ring them and your half an hour waiting for an answer....

Transferred to an Individual on :

Notified on : 18/02/2016

22/02/2016

Vehicle Registration Certificate

Most recent Vehicle Registration Certificate issued on : 26/02/2016

Advertisement