Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking Meters Question

Options
  • 20-02-2016 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭

Those parking meters in town. I never noticed it before but they have large rods sticking up out of them with what looks like a blue chess board on top. What is the function of this rod?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Solar power

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

I think most (if not all) modern parking meters are battery powered with the solar panel keeping the batteries charged.

Is there any of the old manual wind up type meters left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

They change them so often I couldn't tell. I never knew about the Solar power until just now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

GM228 wrote: »
    I think most (if not all) modern parking meters are battery powered with the solar panel keeping the batteries charged.

so, the solar ones work off the sun and the wind up ones work off the wind? We run the electricity off the gas and ......... (etc)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

GM228 wrote: »

Doubtful. Dublin replaced decades ago - most of the older units have Dublin Corporation on them they're that old

Wind = clockwork, not the blowy thingy

• Advertisement
Advertisement