Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dspraxia - 10 year old

Options
  • 20-02-2016 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi folks
    My son has just been assessed privately (as schools waiting list was too long) and the psychologist has said she thinks he has dspraxia and wants him to be seen by an occupational therapist to confirm.

I'm told the waiting list in our area is up to 2 years so we have resigned to go private.

Has anyone been down this route? Tips / help / advice very welcome! It's all a bit much to take in at the moment!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Hi Tracey, its not all bad.
    I have studied this as part of bio-energy healing and training.

have a read here for some facts.

https://theblogwithonepost.wordpress.com/2015/10/11/dyspraxia-awareness-week-2015-10-facts-about-dyspraxia/

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Hi Tracey,

it's always a bit overwhelming when one's child is diagnosed with a difficulty. However, it's good your son has been diagnosed now at 10. Do try to get an OT appointment asap. It's better to put whatever supports/routines are needed in place while your son is still in Primary School. At primary level you are generally-speaking dealing with one class teacher and it's easier to put supports in place than at second level when one is dealing with multiple teachers and an exam-based curriculum. In the meantime do have a look at the Irish dyspraxia website. They have lots of information on the site. Think of the OT as someone who is going to come up with practical ideas to help your child and as a professional who will support you in accessing classroom support if necessary. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

My five year old was diagnosed with DCD last year. The OT told me she had to refer me to a paediatrician to diagnose the DCD even though she was pretty certain that was what was wrong with my daughter. We waited 11 months to see a paed who diagnosed her.

Advertisement