Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

questions about masters clubs

Options
  • 20-02-2016 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've recently started swimming again (well I say "again", but given I gave up competitive swimming a decade ago, it's probably more accurate to say I've recently started swimming) and while the local pool will stick a lane down for the infrequent public swims, it's usually clogged up with older folk looking for some low impact non strenuous activity. This means I'm usually stick swimming half a length, having to turn around and swim back up to the wall again, and generally being lucky to get 50m unbroken, let alone 400m or so.

So with that in mind, I think I'd like to join in a masters club. But I'm wondering, how serious are masters clubs? I know everyone that is there will be there to swim and train, but back when I was a nipper, we trained 4 mornings and 4 evenings a week. Would a masters club be more accommodating to the folk looking to train maybe 2-3 evenings per week? Basically what level of commitment would be required for someone looking to join in a masters swimming club?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

To be honest it won't be like when your a child being brought to a club in the early hours of the morning and the evening four times a week. You will only get what you put into it with a masters club. Some masters clubs only put on a masters session twice weekly and it can be fairly late in the evenings.

You said you have a swimming background and I reckon you won't have a problem getting back your fitness and level of technique. I've seen many swimmers like yourself give it up and then come back and will be flying in a short few months. I know a good few swimmers who train with a Masters club on certain days during the week then switch over to another Masters club at the weekends.

Actually Tony Morris in Belvedere College runs a Masters session every morning from 7am, he is very accommodating and there are some great folks in there that won't steer you wrong with any questions you have.

What part of Dublin are you from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

Hey!

Im looking to go back too but can't seem to find a club to suit my times!
    I trained with a tri club for a few months last year, but they mainly train FC, which sounds grand, but it got very repetitive!
    Where are you living? and what pool are in you as i want to get back and can't stick it out myself:o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Thanks for the replies! Yep I swam from as far back as I can remember until about leaving cert year, so 10 years at least. I'm living in Portmarnock at the moment.

It's definitely a relief to hear the 5:30 am sessions aren't a thing as you get older! I guess I'm not looking to go the full hammer and tongs approach, but 2 - 3 sessions per week, which seems the norm, sounds perfect. I'm just fed up with not even being able to finish a single 200 without some sort of interruption.

I'll have a goo at what clubs are around, do Aer Lingus still have a masters club? I hadn't thought of tri clubs, that's not a bad idea actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Yeah Aerlingus Masters still going strong. They have a FB page so maybe drop them a message there.

Hope it goes ok for you, let's us know how you get on....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

Are lingus are like 99% full.. i looked for there too..
    the only times are 2pm in the day..

its only 25m and have up to 10 in a lane... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Freddio

If you can get out to the NAC you won't have the old codger problem too much but it can be expensive. The belvo sessions would be a good place to try as swimmers from lots of clubs including aer lingus go there, so if you wanted to pursue racing, you could have a choice of club. Not withstanding you will get fit quick.

If you were a fast swimmer 10 years ago eg national level, you wouldn't have any problem getting into aer lingus but you might prefer to join a club like Dublin, who cater for all shapes and sizes. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 SlowInWater

Have a look at NAC masters, can be cheaper to swim in NAC with them then going and oaying the regular entry fee. They have a website with times.

Masters swimming very different to normal club swimming, it a lot friendlier, you will find most club training sessions are open to members of all clubs, it is rare for a session yo have only one club represented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Thanks for the replies lads! Really helpful info here. I think I'll look at Aer Lingus, NAC and I see there's an Eastern Bay Masters club, who train in Donaghmeade, so will look in to them as well.

I actually found a list of masters clubs on the swim Ireland website, could be of use to some one else who stumbles across this post in the future: Link here

Hopefully see a few of ye in the water soon!

Advertisement