Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance hike

Options
  • 20-02-2016 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭

Posting here as its 4x4 related....

I have a 1997 80 series Landcruiser (4.2 diesel).

Last year my insurance renewal was €415.00.
    This year my renewal quote is €775.

Age - not an issue. No points, no claims. Full NCD, full ROI licence. In fact no changes my end.

What's your experience? Have you had a huge increase?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

My suggestion is phone around, try liberty they seem to be offering decent quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

My suggestion is phone around, try liberty they seem to be offering decent quotes

FBD - €902.00 but will only insure tpf&t
    Liberty - €685.00 comprehensive

They won't say why the high prices. I suspect the age of the vehicle, 1997.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

No they are just greedy
    Insurance is gone up across the board

visual wrote: »
    No they are just greedy
    Insurance is gone up across the board

Yes, I was expecting a 40% increase not an 86% increase!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Is that a private or commercial policy WW? Just intrigued as I'm currently with liberty and not looking forward to getting the renewal letter!

• Advertisement

TrailerBob wrote: »
    Is that a private or commercial policy WW? Just intrigued as I'm currently with liberty and not looking forward to getting the renewal letter!

Commercial.

Well its not just you i put in my details for a 1997 landcruiser and got a quote for 687, i also tried for a 2007 landcruiser and it was over 700 so not really age reated. I'm not looking forward to may when my renewal is up on the navara. Did you try mike murphy insurance broker, thats who i'm with at the moment, they gave me a good price through liberty.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ubs69

Got mine 1 week before renewal,,, €1100 last year €1700 this year that's for 96 jeep and 16d transit , Ireland great place to get ripped off , going to do some serious ringing on Monday , and jeep is 96 and cvrtd every year have it 16 years and in good nick yet insurance won't quote it !!! What's the point in cvrt if I can't insure it 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡 just feel really getting shafted ,, anyone Intredted in setting up or own insurance company ðŸ‘

Did you try mike murphy insurance broker, thats who i'm with at the moment, they gave me a good price through liberty.

Actually I was with them a long time ago. Forgot about them. Will give them a shout tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me.

Actually I was with them a long time ago. Forgot about them. Will give them a shout tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me.
    Let us know how your getting on , is your landcruiser a crewcab ? Need to do something before Nxt Monday

• Advertisement

Well its not just you i put in my details for a 1997 landcruiser and got a quote for 687, i also tried for a 2007 landcruiser and it was over 700 so not really age reated. I'm not looking forward to may when my renewal is up on the navara. Did you try mike murphy insurance broker, thats who i'm with at the moment, they gave me a good price through liberty.

€700 you lucky so and so , they won't quote me on a 96 trooper crewcab !

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If you have house insurance etc and what not, you could try them. I know some people who got bundled quotes and in some cases better quotes from the likes of Bank Of Ireland of all places. I didnt even know they were doing Motor insurance.

listermint wrote: »
    If you have house insurance etc and what not, you could try them. I know some people who got bundled quotes and in some cases better quotes from the likes of Bank Of Ireland of all places. I didnt even know they were doing Motor insurance.

Yes but we're the quotes for 20 year old commercial vehicles

ubs69 wrote: »
    Let us know how your getting on , is your landcruiser a crewcab ? Need to do something before Nxt Monday

Didn't get a chance to do anything today. Yes, mine is a crewcab.

Mike Murphy Insurance could not quote me due to the age (1997) of the vehicle !!

In the end, €470.00 fully comp with Liberty.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭ace86

I changed my status on my allianz profile to day online from unemployed to employed and they want an extra €30. these insurance companies are unreal.
    My Policy is out in a few wks and I can safely say that's my last business with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭bdr529

Howya lads

I recently converted my 4x4 from private tax to commercial tax, have CVRT and job done by authorised company but I'm having trouble getting insurance quotes.. 2 companies are saying they wont quote on converted vehicles and one is saying vehicle is too old, have any of you been up against this or reclassified from private to commercial ?

Is that a renew quote from last year or a new quote from different company ?

bdr529 wrote: »
    Howya lads

I recently converted my 4x4 from private tax to commercial tax, have CVRT and job done by authorised company but I'm having trouble getting insurance quotes.. 2 companies are saying they wont quote on converted vehicles and one is saying vehicle is too old, have any of you been up against this or reclassified from private to commercial ?

Yes havin same problem on 96 trooper crewcab with commercial policy , what are you driving ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭bdr529

shogun. I managed to get insured with axe by not mentioning anything about the conversion until I paid the premium but Ihave been told that they will not offer a renewal next year

Is that a renew quote from last year or a new quote from different company ?

a new quote from different company

Well got the renewal notice for my 05 pajero, 1083 euro (liberty), up from under 500 last year. But the exact same details into their online quote system and came up with 570. What a joke. We phoned them and they had no explanation for the massive increase and gave us the 570 price as quoted, unbelievable.

Just got my renewal from Liberty.

Last year as you can see from above was €470.00.

This renewal they have quoted €1152.52.

They have two chances of getting that out of me.

Well waiting on my renewal ! , what do we do with them now are they scrap ! , if we can't insure them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Well waiting on my renewal ! , what do we do with them now are they scrap ! , if we can't insure them

You can use the declined cases committee from Insurance Ireland.
    The first non-quote is required to give you a reasonable figure to insure the vehicle.
    So remember which insurance company gave the no-quote and take it to II.
    http://www.insuranceireland.eu/consumer-information/general-non-life-insurance/motor
    What can I do if I am unable to obtain motor insurance?

Insurance Ireland operates a Declined Cases Agreement, which is adhered to by all motor insurers in Ireland.

Under the agreement, the insurance market will not refuse to provide insurance to an individual seeking insurance, if he/she has approached at least three insurers and has not been able to obtain cover from them. In general, the insurer first approached will be required to provide the individual with a quote. It is therefore important that the proposer keeps a careful note of the order in which he/she approached each of the three companies.

Where an individual has held a policy within the previous three years, the insurance company concerned is obliged to provide the individual with a quotation. Again this is subject to the proviso that refusals have been received from three insurers (of which the previous insurer may be one).

The only grounds on which an insurer can refuse cover are where to provide insurance would be contrary to public interest.

The agreement is administered by a Committee made up of representatives of each of the companies who have signed the agreement. The Committee also includes a representative of the Consumers’ Association of Ireland and the Financial Services Ombudsman’s Bureau as external observers. If it is impossible to identify which insurer was the first approached for a quote, then a rota of insurers comes into effect and the Committee allocates the risk to the next insurer on the rota.

The Committee can also decide whether a quote is so high or the terms so excessive as to make the quote tantamount to a refusal, in which case it will review the matter.

For assistance regarding the Declined Cases Agreement, contact the Insurance Ireland’s Insurance Information Service - declined@insuranceireland.eu*

Just got my renewal from Liberty.

Last year as you can see from above was €470.00.

This renewal they have quoted €1152.52.

They have two chances of getting that out of me.

Well any luck ? Just wondering if it's crewcab on the log book is that a modification for insurance reasons ?

Overall having trouble with insce companies saying it's too old for them.

Best I've got so far is €670.00 through a well known broker and guess who the quote is from...... yep, Liberty who want €1152 from me in my renewal quote.

Can anyone explain that?

It is registered as a crewcab.

Anyone doing classic insurance is telling me that classic insurance is only for bringing the vehicle to shows and not for social, domestic and pleasure purposes.

Advertisement