Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law in Trinity?

Options
  • 20-02-2016 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi guys,

Sixth year student here, facing the dreaded CAO decision making process. I've been searching for threads about Law in Trinity for a while now, however most of the information I've found has seemed outdated or hasn't answered my specific questions

I was wondering if anyone could help me out!

1. What is the social life like in the course? Are there many nights out? Is it hard to make friends?

2. How does Trinity Law school compare to UCD? I've heard some pretty impressive sounding statistics about UCD but haven't heard much about Trinity.

3. How heavy is the workload? I'd really like to have time for a part time job.

4. Are there many exchange opportunities? Like are there only enough places for a select few or is it fairly easy to get in?

5. What are the hours like?

6. Does it attract a certain type of person? I'm afraid it'll be really cliquey

If anyone has any other thoughts on the course please share them because I'd love to get some more information. Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

Did the postgrad in TCD, was Southside before that. My personal preference would have to be with UCD, but then again the nostalgia might be putting a tint on my perspective. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Hi there, I'm a first year law & business student so might be able to answer some of your questions!

1. What is the social life like in the course? Are there many nights out? Is it hard to make friends?

Absolutely fantastic - I was the only person to come from my school (a small country school) to Trinity and have met so many lovely other first years studying law. There are many nights out with different themes and venues. It certainly is very easy to meet lots of new likeminded people. There are also a multitude of clubs and societies to get involved with!

2. How does Trinity Law school compare to UCD? I've heard some pretty impressive sounding statistics about UCD but haven't heard much about Trinity.
    I chose Trinity on the basic of it's academic success and international reputation. I felt that UCD is rather impersonal with absolutely gigantic class sizes. In law and business there are c22 students whereas in UCD there are almost 100. That would leave it much more challenging to find work/internships. The lecturers are so passionate about their work and engaging with the students. Trinity's overall reputation would be far more recognisable and superieur on an international level.

3. How heavy is the workload? I'd really like to have time for a part time job.

Despite the fact that the hours aren't that hectic, you will require many hours of input into your studies. I try to treat it like a normal job - 9 to 5 and that generally covers almost everything.

4. Are there many exchange opportunities? Like are there only enough places for a select few or is it fairly easy to get in?

There are opportunities but I couldn't give you a definite answer on that. Bear in mind that with law you will have certain criteria to meet if you want to become a solicitor/barrister so it is advised to have all that researched before committing to erasmus.

5. What are the hours like?
    Usually 10+ depending on the week and seminars etc. But you will spend many hours reading and interpreting cases and legislation, preparing essays and seminar work etc.

6. Does it attract a certain type of person? I'm afraid it'll be really cliquey

Absolutely not! There are all genres of students there!

Best of luck with your decision and feel free to pm me with further questions :)

Advertisement