Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix newbie so bear with me:)- Help needed!

Options
  • 19-02-2016 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭

Got Netflix for first time yesterday,downloaded the app successfully onto our IPad.

Our internet is wireless with a HAUWEI modem through 3 network.Speed would not be brilliant in general but Netflix worked well with it last night:)

We have a Sony Bravia Smart TV I would like to set up Netflix on.Have never used the Smart TV element of it before.What are the steps for connecting it to the TV?

Probably a silly question but do you have to open it first on the IPad beside the TV and then connect the iPad to the TV to play whatever you want?

Any replies greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭stevveyg

Hi I have a Sony bravia smart tv and there is a red button just for netflix if I rem correctly. The app is actually on the tv including Facebook twitter etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

stevveyg wrote: »
    Hi I have a Sony bravia smart tv and there is a red button just for netflix if I rem correctly. The app is actually on the tv including Facebook twitter etc?

Thanks,won't be trying it till this evening but when you say there's a 'red button' for Netflix is that one of the coloured ones on the remote control or do you have to open some options on the TV first to access it?

Also will it connect 'wirelessly' or do I need to connect the IPad to the TV to run Netflix?.....as I mentioned in my first post.

Thanks.

Really appreciate if someone could give a quick dummy's guide to connecting Netflix on TV.....thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭NinetyForNone

Really appreciate if someone could give a quick dummy's guide to connecting Netflix on TV.....thanks..
    You'll need to get the TV to connect to your wireless. There should be an option to pick network in settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

You shouldn't need to do anything with the iPad.

There should be some sort of settings menu on your tv with a network setup menu. Let it search for your modem and connect with the wifi password like you would with any other device.

Once the tv is online look for the "Smart" or "Apps" menu on your tv. Models can vary so if you're stuck look up support on Sony.com

Netflix might be preinstalled or you might have to download it from an App Store. Once you've got it, logon with your account details, same as you did on the iPad

Last but not least, Netflix uses a lot of data. Be careful if you have a data limit with 3. Check your contract and keep a close eye for the first few days on how much you're using.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Your first step is to connect your tv to your internet connection via the wifi or via Ethernet cable. Go to your TV's network settings to do this. If your TV has wifi it's no different than setting up your iPad or laptop to connect to your wifi connection.

Many Sony smart tv's come with Netflix pre installed but if not with yours im sure once connected to your wifi connection you'll navigate easy enough.

You won't need your iPad. :)

Thanks a million for the feedback....won't have a chance to try it tonight but will do so tomorrow night after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Netflix uses a out 1 Gb an hour on standard definition and up to 3 Gb an hour for hd.

vandriver wrote: »
    Netflix uses a out 1 Gb an hour on standard definition and up to 3 Gb an hour for hd.

Jaysus that fairly uses up capacity!!,am on 3 Broadband Active Plan which gives 15 GB a month.....which is very decent capacity for most casual users...would spend most of time I'm ever online browsing on Boards:).....

Can't see me staying on Netflix long if it means in effect we could only watch maybe 3 hrs a week of stuff on it(and allow a few GB to be left for browsing the internet).

Is Netflix less severe on GB usage if it's through broadband rather than mobile broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Jaysus that fairly uses up capacity!!,am on 3 Broadband Active Plan which gives 15 GB a month.....which is very decent capacity for most casual users...would spend most of time I'm ever online browsing on Boards:).....

Can't see me staying on Netflix long if it means in effect we could only watch maybe 3 hrs a week of stuff on it(and allow a few GB to be left for browsing the internet).

Is Netflix less severe on GB usage if it's through broadband rather than mobile broadband?

Three limited broadband is totally unsuitable for netflix.It could end up costing you a fortune

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Assuming its similar to lg, simply select "smart" go to settings and "connection"

Your 3 connection will show up, select, key in password that is on the three card supplied with the modem and it will connect.

Then simply select netflix and away you go.

If you watched something on the ipad, it will show where you stopped on the tv and vice versa.

You can set up different profiles, so you and someone else can watch the same programme but at different times (herself would go to bed and I'd stay up watching breaking bad, but she had it on her profile so she didn't have to reverse back from where i was)

You'll find out quickly that a combo of netflix, saorview and free satellite TV will be more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Here's a link to a video on youtube on how to set things up - note you need to setup you internet connection to your TV first as you mention you have never used the 'smart' element of your TV before - connect either through wired or wireless first and then you can get get Netflix up and running then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf07Bm_DFYI

Advertisement