Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Express Entry Permanent Residency

Options
  • 19-02-2016 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

soooo I've been invited to apply for express entry and I'm considering going back to Canada in the future.

Does anybody know how long I have until I need to move to Canada after getting permanent residency? and what do I need at the border? I've been invited without a job offer so I know I need the 12k CAD etc, but in terms of documentation to get the PR card and that?

Would it be possible to remain in Ireland for a year after getting PR and then go?

Cheers for any help!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Would you be able to give some more info on your EE application? What was the timeline? You're based in Ireland right?
    I'm fed up of looking for a job here, and thinking if I apply to do the language test, and then have a look at my options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

seachto7 wrote: »
    Would you be able to give some more info on your EE application? What was the timeline? You're based in Ireland right?
    I'm fed up of looking for a job here, and thinking if I apply to do the language test, and then have a look at my options.

Well I applied back in Nov and was invited but declined and I was invited again the 2nd time to apply. You have 60 days to continue with or decline the invitation. Yeah I'm in Ireland. The language test is handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Did you do much preparation for the language test? So, when you're invited to apply, what happens then? You continue your application to apply for residency? I'd imagine there's an ongoing cost and no guarantees of being successful?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    soooo I've been invited to apply for express entry and I'm considering going back to Canada in the future.

Does anybody know how long I have until I need to move to Canada after getting permanent residency? and what do I need at the border? I've been invited without a job offer so I know I need the 12k CAD etc, but in terms of documentation to get the PR card and that?

Would it be possible to remain in Ireland for a year after getting PR and then go?

Cheers for any help!!

You normally have one year from the date of the medical exam to activate PR, but you don't actually have to establish a residency in Canada at that time. Once you have activated PR, you need to live in Canada 2 out of the previous 5 years to maintain it. A complication is they will only send PR cards (which you will definitely need now that Canada has the eTA system in place) to Canadian address and they won't send them to PO boxes, so you will need an address in Canada for this.

For the border at the end of the PR process, you will get something called a COPR document. I think this is all you need (as well as your passport obviously) and maybe some proof of funds. But they also ask for proof of funds as part of the PR application (bank statements etc..).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

seachto7 wrote: »
    Did you do much preparation for the language test? So, when you're invited to apply, what happens then? You continue your application to apply for residency? I'd imagine there's an ongoing cost and no guarantees of being successful?

Just wondering if you did the language test since your last post? I'm going to do it in June.

• Advertisement

northgirl wrote: »
    Just wondering if you did the language test since your last post? I'm going to do it in June.

I did the language test there a couple of weeks ago. You don't need to prepare, its very boring.

Read some letters/emails and answer some questions
    Write a couple of short letters on a topic.
    Listen to conversations and answer some questions (I actually blanked out for one because I was so bored and it was about 100 degrees in the room and ended up missing the information)
    Then some speaking - describe what you see in this picture, what was your favourite subject in school and why etc.

I did the language test there a couple of weeks ago. You don't need to prepare, its very boring.

I would say a little preparation is a good idea - certainly doing at least the sample exams would be useful. Yes, it's an easy test as a native English speaker but I've come across plenty of native English speakers who did relatively poorly because they didn't prepare.

I would say a little preparation is a good idea - certainly doing at least the sample exams would be useful. Yes, it's an easy test as a native English speaker but I've come across plenty of native English speakers who did relatively poorly because they didn't prepare.

I did the IELTS exam and it's more difficult than you would think.

Irish people tend to use phrases such as "I after leaving work there." That makes no sense in terms of the Queens english AFAIK.

Fortunately I knew to avoid any Hiberno English phrases and words.

However, I did find the audio section pretty stupid. They would ask multiple choice questions and actually name out the 3 answer and ask you to pick one so you need to be fairly alert.

Also, if you have trouble with accents (New Zealand popped up in my exam), then be weary of that.

I felt sorry for the non native english speakers! Must have been tough for them.

I actually seen an English guy taking the test. It's a ridiculous requirement really if you are from an English-only speaking country!

Oh for non English speakers it would be very, very tough!

I did CELPIP for the record

And as you say, just make sure you speak 'proper' :)

None of the "g'wan out of that" or "you wouldn't be going to the shop would you?"

A few people here are baffled by that - asking a question in the negative and than clarifying it with the positive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭AmyPL

I did CELPIP as well. Do the sample test, practise writing formal/semi-formal letters, speaking clearly and 'properly' (as everyone has said- avoid slang or 'Irishisms') for 90 seconds/2 minutes and you'll be grand.

I actually did some sample IELTS exams as well just to get used to talking and listening. IELTS features Aussie/English/New Zealand accents but CELPIP is Canadian (the listening section was full of 'eh's :D)

The main thing with CELPIP is to take your time and don't worry about the people in the room around you, it can be distracting when you hear other people start their speaking section so just be aware of that and focus on your own exam. I hated the listening part as you need to listen first before answering the questions. You can take as much notes as you need to so that's handy.

• Advertisement

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    It's a ridiculous requirement really if you are from an English-only speaking country!

I think the test is necessary as they give points for different levels of English. It would be unfair to give points to native English speakers without testing them against some benchmark first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

AmyPL wrote: »
    I did CELPIP as well. Do the sample test, practise writing formal/semi-formal letters, speaking clearly and 'properly' (as everyone has said- avoid slang or 'Irishisms') for 90 seconds/2 minutes and you'll be grand.

I actually did some sample IELTS exams as well just to get used to talking and listening. IELTS features Aussie/English/New Zealand accents but CELPIP is Canadian (the listening section was full of 'eh's :D)

The main thing with CELPIP is to take your time and don't worry about the people in the room around you, it can be distracting when you hear other people start their speaking section so just be aware of that and focus on your own exam. I hated the listening part as you need to listen first before answering the questions. You can take as much notes as you need to so that's handy.

Is it preferable to do CELPIP over IELTS for Canada Immigration or does it make any difference? Did you do the CELPIP in Cork? Thanks :)

CELPIP is only available in Canada. I think IELTS is the only option in Ireland. I prefer CELPIP as it's all on computer, IELTS is pen and paper based.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭AmyPL

Yeah, like circular_flexing said, CELPIP is Canada-specific.

I went with it because the wait time for an available test was shorter than IELTS, plus I prefer using computers over writing by hand. They both have their pros and cons.

I think the test is necessary as they give points for different levels of English. It would be unfair to give points to native English speakers without testing them against some benchmark first.

Yeah I understand that. It's just a little crazy I suppose because Ireland has the highest rate of English speakers in the world (Even higher than the UK! :eek:) But I can see why they do it too. USA doesn't have an official language and there are tonnes of Canadian and Americans that barely speak English. I went to Toronto before and there were lots of Canadians on the same flight as me and they couldn't speak to the Immigration officer even though they had a Canadian passport!
    AmyPL wrote: »
    Yeah, like circular_flexing said, CELPIP is Canada-specific.

I went with it because the wait time for an available test was shorter than IELTS, plus I prefer using computers over writing by hand. They both have their pros and cons.

Most people I know went with CELPIP. I had a bloody pain in my arm from writing in that test, I used computers all day so writing is NOT my friend haha

Advertisement