Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Are there any reliable weather apps?

  • 19-02-2016 11:01am
    #1
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭ BlibBlab


    And if so which is the best? One I have at the moment is repeatedly wrong within a 24 hour span meaning I've had to change plans. I know the weather can be unpredictable but what are the better apps for local weather?


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 25,907 ✭✭✭✭ Wanderer78


    Met eireann app isn't too bad but does need some modernisation


  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ MillField


    If you're on iOS try Check The Weather. I've also heard good things about Weather Line.


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,770 ✭✭✭✭ First Up


    BlibBlab wrote:
    And if so which is the best? One I have at the moment is repeatedly wrong within a 24 hour span meaning I've had to change plans. I know the weather can be unpredictable but what are the better apps for local weather?

    Yr.no


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,560 ✭✭✭✭ sryanbruen


    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Met eireann app isn't too bad but does need some modernisation

    The site is better to be honest but I still think this app is reliable for weather. Yahoo weather is absolutely crap - always gets it wrong!

    Weather and climate site - https://www.ukandirelandclimate.com/ (advised to view on PC, not optimised for mobile)

    Photography site - https://www.sryanbruenphoto.com/



  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭ FishOnABike


    Nothing is perfect and weather can be somewhat unpredictable / unstable at times when looking more than a few days ahead but I've usually found accuweather to be spot on (apart from the occasional hiccup)

    Whatever app / site you use keep an eye on the forecast for any changes as the time gets nearer.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭ Agent_47


    I am using Accuweather which I have found to be pretty accurate at work and am now using locally as I find the Met Eireann "forecast" completely irrelevant to my region.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭ AlanG


    Yr.no is what i use and it is as reliable as scientifically possible - a lot of people on the farming forum use it so that must mean something. It is not the easiest to read as it uses a meteogram but is accurate.
    I have also used Accuweather and found it good for Dublin, especially short term forecasting like "rain in an hour".


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,856 ✭✭✭✭ Alun


    I'm a hillwalker and have used yr.no for years.

    I like that I can enter various place names in my favourites, including mountain tops, passes etc. and I find that the detailed view with the graph of rainfall, temperature and wind to be pretty accurate timing wise if I look on the morning of the hike.

    I also look at the rainfall radar on met.ie, just to get a feel for what direction any wet weather is coming from.


  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭ Agent_47


    Trying Yr.No and it has some really useful features over Accuweather.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭ prunudo


    My job is very weather dependant and I find by using a combination of Met Eireann (rainfall radar for up to date weather) and the UK Met office gives the best options.
    The Met office has a good rain predicting model which usually goes 24-36 ahead.
    While nothing is perfect I've found the Met office to be fairly accurate.
    Just to add I'm based in east Wicklow so maybe the UK Met is better for me rather than the west of the country due to my proximity to Wales.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,311 ✭✭✭✭ Discodog


    My work is very weather dependant. I look at the forecast on yr.no. & then compare it to xc weather. yr.no uses HIRLAM whereas xc uses GFS so you will get variations - I usually take an average.

    But the best app by a mile is Arcus for Android - I believe that there is a ios version. Arcus actually reads the rain radar & predicts ahead. It's only of real use for short term, as in one or two hours. But it can be astonishingly accurate.

    I have it set to notify me of rain during the working day. A typical notification might be light rain starting in 30 minutes lasting for 10 minutes. I have often looked at the radar & from the past track, guess wrongly that it would miss me. Arcus is rarely wrong. Even better it seems good at predicting the drizzle that doesn't show up on the radar.


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,770 ✭✭✭✭ First Up


    Discodog wrote:
    But the best app by a mile is Arcus for Android - I believe that there is a ios version. Arcus actually reads the rain radar & predicts ahead. It's only of real use for short term, as in one or two hours. But it can be astonishingly accurate.


    I downloaded Arcus on your suggestion. It may be accurate but I find it very hard to use compared to YR. Saving locations seems a waste of time as it just shows whatever one it wants. Also if you try to enter/store a place name, you don't know if it is the place you mean, or one of the same name in Kansas or somewhere.


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,311 ✭✭✭✭ Discodog


    First Up wrote: »
    I downloaded Arcus on your suggestion. It may be accurate but I find it very hard to use compared to YR. Saving locations seems a waste of time as it just shows whatever one it wants. Also if you try to enter/store a place name, you don't know if it is the place you mean, or one of the same name in Kansas or somewhere.

    I have never had that problem. Are you sure that you saved your location?


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,770 ✭✭✭✭ First Up


    Discodog wrote:
    I have never had that problem. Are you sure that you saved your location?


    Yep, saved home address and golf club and both are in the system. It still insists on giving me the weather in Cork when I open it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1 weatherfan


    I'm using Weather Reminder iOS App. Different weather alerts & notifications based on forecast.


  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ MillField


    I use Dark Sky on iOS. Weather data is top notch, but the app itself could do with some work.


Advertisement