Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIL players called up to Leinster 'A' squad?

Options
  • 18-02-2016 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

If they are playing amatuer for a club in the ulster bank league division 1a how are they called up to the provincial 'A' squad? And if they are called up do they play permanently with the Province A team and leave their club or do they still play with their home club aswel? If so how does it all work? I am just curious as i read it on wikipedia that Leinster A includes first team players requiring gametime, academy players and AIL players called up. Anyone that can explain it to me i would appreciate it thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭sfbdqc

they play for the game they are called up for.
    they still play for their club, it's usually just a once off thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 holohw

Hey thanks man do you know if a player is playing for a team from connacht can they be called up to the Leinster A team if they are originally from there or can they only play for the Connacht A because they play for a Connacht club?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

holohw wrote: »
    Hey thanks man do you know if a player is playing for a team from connacht can they be called up to the Leinster A team if they are originally from there or can they only play for the Connacht A because they play for a Connacht club?

No Niyi Adeolokun played for Connacht Eagles while playing for Trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭phog

I's fairly sure Matt Darcy continued to play for a Dublin AIL team (too lazy to google) while playing for Munster in the early part of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 13 holohw

Thanks for the info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

If they are playing amatuer for a club in the ulster bank league division 1a how are they called up to the provincial 'A' squad? And if they are called up do they play permanently with the Province A team and leave their club or do they still play with their home club aswel? If so how does it all work? I am just curious as i read it on wikipedia that Leinster A includes first team players requiring gametime, academy players and AIL players called up. Anyone that can explain it to me i would appreciate it thanks.
    You don't have to be contracted to play for a provincial team. They don't play permanently as A team play about 12 games a season.
    You don't have to be playing with a club in the province that you play A rugby with. There is no stopping you as provinces cant stop you,
    phog wrote: »
    I's fairly sure Matt Darcy continued to play for a Dublin AIL team (too lazy to google) while playing for Munster in the early part of the season
    A lot of players have done so. Quite a few Connacht players were registered with Leinster/Munster clubs when Wegians/Corinthians were in division 2 as contracted players cant play at that level.

Advertisement