Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music performance degree- career advice?

Options
  • 18-02-2016 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,
    My husband is almost finished a 4 year degree in BA of jazz performance and at a crossroads of what to do next.
    He loves teaching but wants something full time. He was thinking of doing a Hdip in music and Spanish ( he's Spanish speaking) but concerned there are few if any full time teaching jobs out there.
    Music therapy is also an option he's considering but again unsure if there is the prospect of a full time career in this.
    Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭phildenny

No advice as to what to do but the prospects of getting a full time job as a music teacher are slim to none. Also, does he have a degree in Spanish as that is a requirement to register as a Spanish teacher for second level. Few schools do Spanish anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tonks99

phildenny wrote: »
    No advice as to what to do but the prospects of getting a full time job as a music teacher are slim to none. Also, does he have a degree in Spanish as that is a requirement to register as a Spanish teacher for second level. Few schools do Spanish anyway.

Thanks Phil. Thought as much. It seems like getting a full time job with a music performance degree is harder than we thought

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I agree with phildenny re difficulty of getting fulltime teaching job but as far as I know, Spanish is becoming very popular in 2nd level schools?

From examinations.ie
    Year 2007 2008 2009 2010
    Ordinary Level 1127 1373 1419 1586
    Higher Level 1533 1592 1858 2059
    Total 2660 2965 3277 3645
    Table 2: Numbers of Leaving Certificate candidates taking Spanish 2007-2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭eskerman

I know this thread is a few years old but I just wanted to add my contribution to it

My 19old son finished his leaving cert and he has decided to to a PLC in Dunboyne College in Music Performance - (he has been playing drums - quite good actually for about five years and he wold be at grade 6 level) I have done my own research in this industry and there are no paying jobs or careers in Ireland for it - so despite skilling up and getting his "cap and gown" he then either decides to go on to Maynooth or some other university to study an arts or music degree - but there are no jobs in this industry. Ive asked him to raise the question during classes at Dunboyne and he wont - seems he is kinda stuck in no-mans land about what to do

I have advised him to switch gears and look at skilling up in a trade or something that has a job at the end of training or an apprenticeship and make a few bob gigging with his drums.

He was looking at a BA in Jazz music at DCU which is a four year course but it all about the jobs and how you can earn a living having put 4years and lots of money into a BA

I cant tell him what to do with his life - but I fear he is going nowhere with this so called Music Performance course at Dunboyne College

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Is the PLC just one year? I'd say a PLC is perfect for him for this first year - if he won't ask the question, is it (a) because he is very shy (and needs the PLC year to mature) or (b) becuse he is perfectly happy doing his PLC and doesn't see any need to rock the boat (in which case, be grateful you have a happy 19yr old - many families don't) or (c) because he hasn't a clue what he wants to do?
    I'd suggest encouraging him to get the most he can get out of the PLC year - it's a long road ahead for all the Leaving Cert 2018 students - he'll find his niche.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I have experience in music courses and teaching Spanish. Both are areas in which it is difficult to get full-time, permanent contracts.

In Spanish teaching you can get a lot of casual hours. There are evening classes in institutes around ireland, online institutes, substitute work in schools, exam correcting, or giving grinds at home. You'd be looking at 30-40 euro per hour. Obviously without a contract there is no fixed salary meaning you can be left without a wage at times due to people dropping out of classes at the last minute, unpaid holidays, getting sick, etc. Language teaching staff in universities are mostly paid by the hour with little to no security, so even they have to face these problems year after year.

The positive side to this is that you have more holiday time and freedom to travel and you can pick your own hours in many cases.

Friends who have studied music are doing teaching and or admin stuff in music schools in Dublin. I also know some people who did a music performance PLC and are making good money out of playing in cover bands at weddings, giving classes, etc. Again, same sort of instability can be a problem. Others realized how hard it was to find something fixed and went a totally different direction.

Is the PLC just one year? I'd say a PLC is perfect for him for this first year - if he won't ask the question, is it (a) because he is very shy (and needs the PLC year to mature) or (b) becuse he is perfectly happy doing his PLC and doesn't see any need to rock the boat (in which case, be grateful you have a happy 19yr old - many families don't) or (c) because he hasn't a clue what he wants to do?
    I'd suggest encouraging him to get the most he can get out of the PLC year - it's a long road ahead for all the Leaving Cert 2018 students - he'll find his niche.

Thanks for your reply and I agree and understand at 19 its impossible to figure out what way to go in a career. Its a one year course and I know its like a TY year and it gives students to settle into a different style of education.. and yes he will find his niche. One thing I always say is be happy in your job no matter what - better then being miserable doing something you hate.

I would say a little shyness and he doesn't want to rock the boat - and I dont think he really knows whats coming up the road and I'm fine with that. He's a good lad and yes he has a long way to go

Thanks Again

P

I have experience in music courses and teaching Spanish. Both are areas in which it is difficult to get full-time, permanent contracts.

In Spanish teaching you can get a lot of casual hours. There are evening classes in institutes around ireland, online institutes, substitute work in schools, exam correcting, or giving grinds at home. You'd be looking at 30-40 euro per hour. Obviously without a contract there is no fixed salary meaning you can be left without a wage at times due to people dropping out of classes at the last minute, unpaid holidays, getting sick, etc. Language teaching staff in universities are mostly paid by the hour with little to no security, so even they have to face these problems year after year.

The positive side to this is that you have more holiday time and freedom to travel and you can pick your own hours in many cases.

Friends who have studied music are doing teaching and or admin stuff in music schools in Dublin. I also know some people who did a music performance PLC and are making good money out of playing in cover bands at weddings, giving classes, etc. Again, same sort of instability can be a problem. Others realized how hard it was to find something fixed and went a totally different direction.

Appreciate your input and its a bit of a 'jury's out" for a couple of years until he gets his course completed and then more doors can open - and yes he does have options as a drummer / drum teacher / and I would encourage him to travel and see other countries and live life to the full -

No such thing as a secure job now anyway ( apart from civil service - and those doors and well sealed )

I think the tech sector is good - electronics and engineering is safe and you have lots of choices in a career

Music Performance PLC - im just not sure where it leads to -

His choice and let him at it

Thanks again

P

Advertisement