Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scotland

Options
  • 18-02-2016 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hi, had a great time in France last year for a few weeks. I was delighted with the aires and wild camping possibilities. Even in the one place we were advised not to camp in by the police they gave directions to several other locations nearby with free and paying options.

Might have cause to be in West coast Scotland early June and while I know they won't have aires facilities there I was wondering does anyone know the situation in terms of wild camping in scenic locations.

In a stealth (poor mans) camper so can be discreet anywhere but prefer to open the door in the morning to something scenic.
    Appreciate any experiences/advice. Destination is Applecross.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Its fairly rural so I doubt you'd have any major problems. Have driven around it by car, but I dont recall much of the height restriction type stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Last summer my husband and myself were visiting Scotland, travelling by rail: but I own a camper van and we were watching out.

Several decades ago when courting, me and him went camping in Scotland by rail and tent: and found that you could pitch just about anywhere off the beaten track, as long as well-behaved and reasonably discreet.

And there is a LOT of "off the beaten track" in western and highland Scotland: I mean, often there's no track!

So last summer were were watching from train windows for camping spots: that is between Inverness and Kyle of Lochalsh, and around Aviemore.
    Well, we saw vans all over the place - often just in lay-bys at roadsides on those windswept mountain roads: and by lakes and near beaches and woods...honestly, I think you just have to ask around and keep your eyes open, and use your commonsense about not being a nuisance.

The land is so empty and vast...it's beautiful.

There are several facebook groups (private) who share locations for discreet or very cheap overnight camping and parking. I suggest you join a couple...lots of useful info there.
    One of them posted a glorious list of Scottish beaches this morning...
    http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/our-pick-scotlands-west-highland-beaches/0012990/

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

Thanks guys appreciate it.

Advertisement