Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing U21 and Minor grades

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

Sigerson/Fitzgibbon cup should not have group stages (or backdoor), knockout only. And do away with this playing the semi finals and final on consecutive days, two knackered teams competing a final is just plain silly.

The recent change in changing minor eligibility from under 18 to under 17 was a great move for county panels but a terrible move for clubs.

Proper rules need to be enforced on county minor teams, with severe sanctions. I've worked in a few schools in the last few years, young fellas getting up at 6 (earlier in extreme cases) a few days a week to go to the gym before school in order to fulfill their weight training as assigned by their coaches. Not to mention the actual training sessions. I'm working with a few 3rd year students (that's 14 going on 15) who have begun weight training programmes, these guys are only on development squads.

Whatever about expecting such levels of commitment from full grown consenting adults, it should not be acceptable for similar to be expected from 14-18 year olds.

The calendar needs reforming. And competition structures should be considered.

But, the GAA are still ignoring the biggest problems of all; club players are being completely fcuked about to suit the 1-2% of players on county panels.

And far too much is being asked of that 1-2%, everyone knows they are overtrained, particularly in proportion to games played.

Of all the problems in the GAA right now, the under 21 and minor championships are not two of them, unusual scapegoats, changing the age grades wouldn't really make much of a difference in the long run. Nice soft targets for the GAA I guess, god forbid they might tackle some of the bigger issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

HanaleiJ5N wrote: »
    Sigerson/Fitzgibbon cup should not have group stages (or backdoor), knockout only. And do away with this playing the semi finals and final on consecutive days, two knackered teams competing a final is just plain silly.

The recent change in changing minor eligibility from under 18 to under 17 was a great move for county panels but a terrible move for clubs.

Proper rules need to be enforced on county minor teams, with severe sanctions. I've worked in a few schools in the last few years, young fellas getting up at 6 (earlier in extreme cases) a few days a week to go to the gym before school in order to fulfill their weight training as assigned by their coaches. Not to mention the actual training sessions. I'm working with a few 3rd year students (that's 14 going on 15) who have begun weight training programmes, these guys are only on development squads.

Whatever about expecting such levels of commitment from full grown consenting adults, it should not be acceptable for similar to be expected from 14-18 year olds.

The calendar needs reforming. And competition structures should be considered.

But, the GAA are still ignoring the biggest problems of all; club players are being completely fcuked about to suit the 1-2% of players on county panels.

And far too much is being asked of that 1-2%, everyone knows they are overtrained, particularly in proportion to games played.

Of all the problems in the GAA right now, the under 21 and minor championships are not two of them, unusual scapegoats, changing the age grades wouldn't really make much of a difference in the long run. Nice soft targets for the GAA I guess, god forbid they might tackle some of the bigger issues.
    100% agree

Advertisement