Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5X Owners

Options
  • 17-02-2016 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi

Don't see a thread for this device, really liking the look of it although will have to wait until the price drops again before going for it.

Just wondering what owners thoughts on the device are? Performance/ Lag/ Screen Quality/ Battery Life?

Thanks
    gR

Comments

Battery life could be better, but it charges very quickly. Screen is very good and I've no issues with performance. I'm just annoyed that they dropped the price the week after I bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Battery life could be better, but it charges very quickly. Screen is very good and I've no issues with performance. I'm just annoyed that they dropped the price the week after I bought it.

Hmm, sounds like the downside to the S6...drains quickly, but fast charge.

Fine if you're always going to be close to a power source, but when will manufacturers understand that we want both good battery life AND fast charging!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

The battery is a vast improvement over the 5, but that's not saying a lot. You'll still struggle to get a full day, but as pointed out, it'll charge about 20% in 10 minutes for you.

it's nice looking and light, the fingerprint scanner's amazing, the screen is nice, the camera's really good, and stock Android is still best Android. Runs smoothly for me, too.

basically for €400 I doubt you'll get a much better phone with a similar screen size. It's definitely a worthy upgrade on the 5.

Only 2GB of RAM could be a problem in the future, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭gerryR

Thanks folks, will have to see if it comes down in price again, if nothing better has been released in that price bracket by then might give it a shot.
    Rgds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

gerryR wrote:
    Thanks folks, will have to see if it comes down in price again, if nothing better has been released in that price bracket by then might give it a shot. Rgds

It's 329EUR for the next 2 hours on ibood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭gerryR

Picked it up in Argos (32GB Black @ €379 at the min and had a one4all needed using).

Loving the phone so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Any way to use the fingerprint scanner to lock specific apps? Tried a Google search but the app recommended seeems to have been removed from the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr. TTime

Hi guys thinking of getting the Nexus 5X - am coming from an iphone 6 plus but have had android phones in the past (htc one x and the original htc one (m7)) and loved both. Got a one plus one too but the camera wasn't up to my standard and changed it for the iphone.

My problem is that all my stuff is googlified - photos, music, email, docs etc and the iphone is pretty crap if you don't have any stake in the apple ecosystem. I want to move back to android and want a pure android experience so was looking at a nexus. With a possible new flagship being announced later this year (possibly by HTC!!) that is the phone for me hopefully but in the interim was wondering if picking up a Nexus 5X would do for me or is it too much a step backwards from an iphone 6 plus even if just for a few months? Battery life is the major concern really - don't play games on the phone so not too worried about the 2GB ram.

1st world problem I know :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I don't fancy the display on the 5x, In my opinion it looks dull compared to the 6p. I don't own either but have seen them from a few of the IT guys in work.
    I own a oneplus 2 but secretly I really fancy the 6p.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ivan E

Not sure if this is an option but this popped up on Goggle when coincidentally I was looking up the model earlier

http://www.eglobalcentral.co.uk/lg-google-nexus-5x-16gb-4g-lte-sim-free-unlocked-black.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw0dy4BRCuuL_e5MeqmNABEiQAq8iNI89uLyVue858bdusYd2JCn0XuCtm6fZ2PAu-WiuFfscaAkbA8P8HAQ

184.99 sterling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭redscan

Ivan E wrote: »
    Not sure if this is an option but this popped up on Goggle when coincidentally I was looking up the model earlier

http://www.eglobalcentral.co.uk/lg-google-nexus-5x-16gb-4g-lte-sim-free-unlocked-black.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw0dy4BRCuuL_e5MeqmNABEiQAq8iNI89uLyVue858bdusYd2JCn0XuCtm6fZ2PAu-WiuFfscaAkbA8P8HAQ

184.99 sterling.

Their returns system is a nightmare if anything goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭kindalen

Looking for a decent uk/ireland fast wall charger, anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

kindalen wrote: »
    Looking for a decent uk/ireland fast wall charger, anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks.

I went with this one. It's really good, but only the USB C ports are QuickCharge, the rest aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭g0g

Anyone know a good simple single charger for it similar in quality to the one that comes with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭kindalen

I'd prefer a single too.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Evil_g

So how's this phone going for everyone?

My other half is in the market for a budget phone that just works, and very importantly, will continue working for the next two years or so.

Budget is circa €300, and the 5x is available on Amazon for €320.

She doesn't want anything bigger than a five inch screen, she doesn't need top end specs, but she does need NFC (which kind of limits her at this end of the market - it rules out the Moto G and Oneplus X).

I wouldn't recommend budget HTC or Samsung because I'd expect the bloatware to cause problems sooner rather than later. Similarly a 3 year old flagship (which is all she could afford) is unlikely to make it to the end of the two years she'll want a functioning phone for.

I'm a satisfied 6p owner but she doesn't want a huge clown phone.

I'd be willing to try a Chinese phone myself, knowing the risks, but I don't want her to take the risk for specs she doesn't even want.

Is there any good reason not to push the button on the 5x? Are there any other phones she should be considering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I would stick with Nexus for updates. I was hoping the Moto G4 (for example) would get updates but it doesn't really.

Hard to get something decent in the smaller size. Sony do them but I always found them poor quality.

Well /r/nexus5x and /r/pickanandroidforme are unanimously telling me that every Nexus5 suffers from a bootloop issue sooner or later.

Is it possible that this is just a selection bias issue? i.e. The vast majority of 5x owners are perfectly happy with their device and therefore don't stalk 5x threads 18 months after launch to complain about an issue that only affects a minority?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭all the bais

Bought a Nexus 5x back in April 16 from Amazon and loved it. Fast forward to Dec 16 and it got stuck in that infamous boot loop.

Lucky enough Amazon sent me a full refund (regardless as I didn't have a warranty). Now have a 6P and it's a beast.

Bought a Nexus 5x back in April 16 from Amazon and loved it. Fast forward to Dec 16 and it got stuck in that infamous boot loop.

Lucky enough Amazon sent me a full refund (regardless as I didn't have a warranty). Now have a 6P and it's a beast.

Thanks. Yeah, this boot loop thing does appear to be very common. I'm looking into the Huawei P9 lite now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Good luck finding a phone with a major known issue. They all seem to have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,425 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

g0g wrote: »
    Anyone know a good simple single charger for it similar in quality to the one that comes with it?
    I am looking for this as well. I bought a replacement charger, but it isn't the fast charge variety.

Advertisement