Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No claims bonus

Options
  • 17-02-2016 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi there
    I recently started a 4 year job post right beside my home, and I have no use for the car so I sold it and don't plan to drive for the 4 years. I would anticipate having to resume driving thereafter. I have driven for 10 years and become quite disillusioned with keeping on the car as the insurance rises yearly despite 10 years of not so much as a penalty point.
    Will I revert to the same insurance premia as new drivers in 4 years' time if I don't drive in the meantime; i.e. lose my no claims bonus entirely?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 163 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Una

Hi there
    I recently started a 4 year job post right beside my home, and I have no use for the car so I sold it and don't plan to drive for the 4 years. I would anticipate having to resume driving thereafter. I have driven for 10 years and become quite disillusioned with keeping on the car as the insurance rises yearly despite 10 years of not so much as a penalty point.
    Will I revert to the same insurance premia as new drivers in 4 years' time if I don't drive in the meantime; i.e. lose my no claims bonus entirely?
    Hi mmooney1983,
    Thanks for your query, currently the business rules are if a No Claims Bonus has not been used on a policy within the last 2 years then it expires. We understand your frustration with the overall increases in insurance premium lately, however we hope when you return to driving you come back to us for a quotation and hopefully we can provide you with a competitive one. All the best with your new job.
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 81,708 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

My advice would be to not insure the car for a year, take out the lowest most basic insurance on it for a year, don't renew the following year and then take out the lowest most basic insurance on it for a year. If you don't do this than you will lose the no claims bonus and will cost substantially more than if you didn't do this. Have a look around the media for examples, get quotes now online with zero no claims bonus to compare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭mmooney1983

My advice would be to not insure the car for a year, take out the lowest most basic insurance on it for a year, don't renew the following year and then take out the lowest most basic insurance on it for a year. If you don't do this than you will lose the no claims bonus and will cost substantially more than if you didn't do this. Have a look around the media for examples, get quotes now online with zero no claims bonus to compare.
    That seems smart but I sold my car; didn't want to pay tax/NCT/parking permit etc...

Advertisement