Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hong Kong

Options
  • 17-02-2016 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of spending a few nights in Hong Kong at the end of April. Would anyone recommend and suggest things to see and do? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Dim Sum in City Hall
    Goose in Yung Kee (plus hundred year old egg if you're ambitious)
    Cross the harbour at night on the Star Ferry
    Go up the Peak
    Go out to Stanley (south side of the island)
    Walk through Causeway Bay at night - especially eye opening if you are tall.
    Order some shirts in WinGuide
    Order a suit from Bonnie & Johnny at Yuen's in Escalator Link Alley
    Go to Lan Kwai Fung at night and hang out with the expats; afterwards, allow one of the Indian Elvises to direct you to dinner in Rat Alley/Wing Wah Lane.
    Have the buffet at lunch on Thursday at the Mandarin; check out the Chinnery (Irish expat artist in 1840s HK) Bar
    Have an evening or weekend buffet at the Shangri La

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ElecKtrA

Marcusm wrote: »
    Dim Sum in City Hall
    Goose in Yung Kee (plus hundred year old egg if you're ambitious)
    Cross the harbour at night on the Star Ferry
    Go up the Peak
    Go out to Stanley (south side of the island)
    Walk through Causeway Bay at night - especially eye opening if you are tall.
    Order some shirts in WinGuide
    Order a suit from Bonnie & Johnny at Yuen's in Escalator Link Alley
    Go to Lan Kwai Fung at night and hang out with the expats; afterwards, allow one of the Indian Elvises to direct you to dinner in Rat Alley/Wing Wah Lane.
    Have the buffet at lunch on Thursday at the Mandarin; check out the Chinnery (Irish expat artist in 1840s HK) Bar
    Have an evening or weekend buffet at the Shangri La

Thanks for all the information! How many days do you think is enough to see most of the above? Also, any recommendations on areas to stay, please. Is it a walkable city? Or would one be reliant on the metro system? I'm an avid walker and I believe you see more on foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Hike Lions Rock if you can, it's right by Kowloon City. Handiest would be to get a taxi to take you to the starting point, hike is about two hours and has an absolutely stunning view;http://www.strippedpixel.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/lion-rock-sunset-hong-kong.jpg

I'd recommend seeing some markets on the Kowloon side as well; Temple Street, Ladies Market.

Can be as cheap or as expensive as you want, really. I'd personally recommend staying on the Kowloon side, maybe in Tsim Sha Tsui, Hung Hom area. Cheaper, more local vibe.

Hong Kong isn't great for walking, purely because of the population density and the amount of overpasses. You CAN, but the MTR is so quick and efficient that I'd say it's your best bet for making your way around. The travel card is called the Octopus, costs $150 which gets you $100 credit and a $50 deposit (about €18 total cost). You can pick one up in an MTR station; very handy, can be used on all public transport systems as well as contactless payment in most shops/restaurants (but not at the markets I mentioned).

Advertisement