Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subcontractor Tax Registration Confusement

Options
  • 17-02-2016 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

After finishing a Masters in E-Learning last year I recently have been given the chance to do some contract work with my college part-time from home where I'm just contributing E-Learning content. They asked me to send them a quote for the work and later I'll have to invoice them for that amount. It will probably just be that once off payment.

This is my first ever venture into self employment and I am so very confused about the tax stuff. I'm not running my own business or anything and that seems to be the only kind of information I can find when googling about it.

I rang the Revenue and they said that I have to fill out a TR1 form which I've now looked at but I'm not sure what parts of it are relevant to me. If anyone here has done contract work like me I'd be glad of some advice. I can imagine it's similar to being a freelance web/graphic designer I guess?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

After finishing a Masters in E-Learning last year I recently have been given the chance to do some contract work with my college part-time from home where I'm just contributing E-Learning content. They asked me to send them a quote for the work and later I'll have to invoice them for that amount. It will probably just be that once off payment.

This is my first ever venture into self employment and I am so very confused about the tax stuff. I'm not running my own business or anything and that seems to be the only kind of information I can find when googling about it.

I rang the Revenue and they said that I have to fill out a TR1 form which I've now looked at but I'm not sure what parts of it are relevant to me. If anyone here has done contract work like me I'd be glad of some advice. I can imagine it's similar to being a freelance web/graphic designer I guess?

If the amount in question is going to be less than 3,174, you don't need to fill in a TR1.

You can simply file a Form 12 tax return in 2017, including that amount of income on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 IsMiseSarah

If the amount in question is going to be less than 3,174, you don't need to fill in a TR1.

You can simply file a Form 12 tax return in 2017, including that amount of income on it.

Have just looked that up and it says that it's for PAYE workers that may have other income, which is outside the PAYE system. Just to be clear I am currently not working other than this contract work, do I still qualify?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Have just looked that up and it says that it's for PAYE workers that may have other income, which is outside the PAYE system. Just to be clear I am currently not working other than this contract work, do I still qualify?

Yes, unless you're actually intending to commence a self employed business of doing this type of work.

Advertisement