Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thompson R6200 Alu

Options
  • 17-02-2016 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Just about to purchase my first road bike through the bike to work scheme so I've €1000 to spend. I've looked at entry level bikes; Trek 1.2, Giant Defy 1, etc. Staggs in Lucan are strongly recommending the Thompson R6200 Alu as the best bang for your buck in terms of kit. I've been unable to find any reviews for this bike & I'm nervous to spend on a less recognisable name.

Anyone any experience of this bike? Is it worth taking the chance on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Honkingto wrote: »
    Just about to purchase my first road bike through the bike to work scheme so I've €1000 to spend. I've looked at entry level bikes; Trek 1.2, Giant Defy 1, etc. Staggs in Lucan are strongly recommending the Thompson R6200 Alu as the best bang for your buck in terms of kit. I've been unable to find any reviews for this bike & I'm nervous to spend on a less recognisable name.

Anyone any experience of this bike? Is it worth taking the chance on?

They're a Belgian bike brand, which to my mind is a plus, I see plenty of them on the road and a few lads in our league race on them, if Staggs in Lucan are selling them and are willing to stand over it I wouldn't have a moments worry about it, as long as you like it and it feels comfortable then I'd say go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Honkingto

Excellent, thanks for the update. I was weary due to the lack of online reviews (especially in this day & age).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Which one are you getting? From googling the R6200 is available with various groupset a from Sora up to 105. The €1000 bike is a Tiagra double in most places. I'd just be sure that it's the latest Tiagra (4700) that's on the bike and not the older 4600.

You're speaking a different language but I'll be sure to inquire when I'm there for a fitting tomorrow. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

They seem to push thomson a lot.
    If the thomson is only tiagra and the giant or trek are 105, then go for one of the latter.

Triple just means 3 cogs at the front, compact or double have 2. Compact is a good allrounder, giving a similar range of gearing to a triple, but with less weight and probably a bit more smoothness. A double is the probably better suited to stronger cyclists.
    If you are a newcomer, a triple is no harm at all as it gives the best range of gears and will help when you hit the hills. Dont listen to snobs saying you have to get a compact or double to be a proper cyclist.
    compacts are fine in ireland, they will get you up anything onc you have the fitness.
    Best of luck in your choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hide behind the post

Op - I Bought a R7200 (2014) since ceased production and equivalent now is R8200... Still a great price.

Upgraded at purchase to full 105

Great bike for price point (cc€1400) and never regreted my decision. Really good build quality and bang for buck.

You will not see many reviews with the exception of word of mouth. Does not have the reputation of trek, giant etc but don't let that worry you - has caused me no trouble.

I believe Nicolas Roches irish performance/talent team were riding Thompsons high end Force Carbon bike. Says something.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,657 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I purchased a Thompson r7200 2015 early this year with a compact 105 all round, €1200.

One small issue with faulty wheel/spokes but replaced with 2016 wheelset of same manufacturer. Nothing but pleased with the bike since and you will have a bike not vsry common..

Great bikes and alot of value in their prices.

Thanks for all the replies/comments. Took the plunge and ordered the bike yesterday evening.

Advertisement