Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car insurance

Options
  • 17-02-2016 12:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Can anyone advise me oN places to contact regards car insurance ? I am 40 first time Driver trying to insure 1L CAR , GETTING RIDICULOUS QUOTES. 3K ect .:mad:

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Try first Ireland, my mother is in her late fiftys on a provisional the last 3yrs and pays less than me with 7yrs ncb.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

its4women.ie or zurich

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Your age doesn't have as much of an effect as your driving history, years license held, no claims bonus and type of vehicle. Unfortunately you will have to pay a pretty penny for insurance regardless of age if you're just starting out, be it on a provisional or full license. A 1L engine will give a cheaper quote. Definitely shop areound. Try brokers and companies directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Can anyone advise me oN places to contact regards car insurance ? I am 40 first time Driver trying to insure 1L CAR , GETTING RIDICULOUS QUOTES. 3K ect .:mad:

TIA

Them all. Depending on their previous claims record a company which gives a good quote to one person could give a crazy quote to the next, there's no way to know the loading factors each company uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

3k for a 40yo driver is an insane quote!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

Give www.25plus.ie a try, was the cheapest I could get.

I was 34 late last year insuring on a provisional with 0 no claims in a 1.2l car and paid €1484. Saying that I have a full motorcycle licence with a full no claims and 16 years on road experience. However insurers say they don't take my years of road craft on a motorcycles into account for the car, seems nuts.

Got my test next week so hopefully I might be able get a chunk back if I pass, touch wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I am 40 first time Driver trying to insure 1L CAR , GETTING RIDICULOUS QUOTES. 3K ect .:mad:
    Are you living in a real bad area, or what is the make and model of the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I got a quote from boxymo for €1700 driving a 2l mercedes c180 .
    Checked quotes for a 1l fiesta was higher with the usual suspects ,
    Tried 25plus they wouldn't even quote me

late 30s on a learners permit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭berniepixie

the_syco wrote: »
    Are you living in a real bad area, or what is the make and model of the car?

yes i live in a bad area with roadside parking , no garden 1L YARIS :( quote was from AXA . . . . . . " Our Price €2995.88
    Including a minimum discount of 10%
    You can also pay month by month (deposit €449.38 and 9 monthly instalments of €301.94 17.04%APR)
    including government levies" This was the email I recived from them :(

thanks for advice everyone , there are companys mentioned here that i never even of considered trying or knew existed ! so I will keep going , ;)

• Advertisement

Faith+1 wrote: »
    3k for a 40yo driver is an insane quote!

Email from AXA . . . . ... . Our Price €2995.88
    You can also pay month by month (deposit €449.38 and 9 monthly instalments of €301.94 17.04%APR)
    including government levies :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Similar position to you Bernie, 3k is the best quote I'm getting, I don't have many options as my car is a '99 is another thing.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Did you try AA? They were the cheapest I got. Put someone with a full license down as a named driver if you can! Insurance has gone way up in the past few months. 3K is still crazy though. Mine was almost half that and is a 1.25ltr.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

yes i live in a bad area with roadside parking , no garden 1L YARIS :( quote was from AXA . . . . . . " Our Price €2995.88
    How much excess are you doing? IMO, check local brokers out, as they may give better prices.

VonVix wrote: »
    Similar position to you Bernie, 3k is the best quote I'm getting, I don't have many options as my car is a '99 is another thing.
    Yes, so frustrating when insurance cost more than the car, same as myself !! :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

There was clementes and gaico....but they have stopped giving insurance now....so best option is get full license then buy a car...

Advertisement