Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age old question- which alarm system

Options
  • 16-02-2016 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Apologies, am new to the work of alarm system so wanted to get an idea whats best for me.

I was looking for a wired system as my house is prewired. Plus am looking it to be controlled thru app – simple on/off. I don’t mind paying extra if a camera can also be installed which I can access thru phone.

With that , I contacted a couple of security companies and they suggested wireless (PW for example where they charge 35pm). Don’t want that and want self monitoring.

One company suggested HKC1070 but it does not provide a cam , you can simple on/off alarm thru phone what I understand.
    Can someone suggest me whats the best way to go about it and which company would give that

So its actually a mix of both wired or wireless. ..( I know there was a separate debate on which is better),

I am travelling next week so would want something asap. Appreciate the help

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

For an decent app with the possibility of the addition of cameras I would recommend GSD.
    Siemens also have a good app but camera integration is a little limited.
    Almost all alarm apps are free but HKC have charges for apps & usage.
    See the sticky here for more details on charges , features ,polling etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,656 ✭✭✭✭altor

gogreen81 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Apologies, am new to the work of alarm system so wanted to get an idea whats best for me.

I was looking for a wired system as my house is prewired. Plus am looking it to be controlled thru app – simple on/off. I don’t mind paying extra if a camera can also be installed which I can access thru phone.

With that , I contacted a couple of security companies and they suggested wireless (PW for example where they charge 35pm). Don’t want that and want self monitoring.

One company suggested HKC1070 but it does not provide a cam , you can simple on/off alarm thru phone what I understand.
    Can someone suggest me whats the best way to go about it and which company would give that

So its actually a mix of both wired or wireless. ..( I know there was a separate debate on which is better),

I am travelling next week so would want something asap. Appreciate the help

I would also be of the mind set of the adding of wire free devices down the line. In that case I would recommend the HKC 10/70 also.
    All these systems are designed to protect your home whichever one you have installed.

When it comes to cameras I would recommend a separate DVR also.
    If your alarm activates you can go in on the App on your phone to view the cameras on the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭gogreen81

altor wrote: »
    I would also be of the mind set of the adding of wire free devices down the line. In that case I would recommend the HKC 10/70 also.
    All these systems are designed to protect your home whichever one you have installed.

When it comes to cameras I would recommend a separate DVR also.
    If your alarm activates you can go in on the App on your phone to view the cameras on the system.

thanks does any other existing system gives the cam option on wired and not pay a monthly fee. Am ok for one time fee.

going to read the link mod suggested above.

If anyone has any company name providing the services as what am looking for, Pls PM me.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

thanks does any other existing system gives the cam option on wired and not pay a monthly fee. Am ok for one time fee.

HKC are the only ones charging for apps & their usage AFAIK.

I have seen GSD working with cameras during testing & it works very well.
    Whats available from them right now, Id have to check what information I can give you there.
    Risco also have a nice working camera integration.
    The Siemens/Vanderbilt integrates well but only gives snap shots , not streaming video.
    The ideal solution would be separate CCTV system with integration in some way into the alarm app also.

KoolKid wrote: »
    HKC are the only ones charging for apps & their usage AFAIK.

I have seen GSD working with cameras during testing & it works very well.
    Whats available from them right now, Id have to check what information I can give you there.
    Risco also have a nice working camera integration.
    The Siemens/Vanderbilt integrates well but only gives snap shots , not streaming video.
    The ideal solution would be separate CCTV system with integration in some way into the alarm app also.

thanks. Since my house is prewired, so definitely want to take advantage of that. But again want system which can be expanded in future to include cam, if not now.
    HKC is popular , but i think not for what I want coz of future cam option+recurring charges which i dont want.

Looking at the other thread, some words are jargons to me tbh.
    Interested in Siemens and GSD. Any reputed companies installing them?

thanks

• Advertisement

Most good installers would install multiple different systems. Shop around.
    GSD & Siemens/Vanderbilt will give you the option of wired & wireless without any ongoing charges for apps or use of apps,If you contact GSD they will put you onto installers of their systems in your area.
    EMAIL: info(at)globalsecurity.ie
    MAIN LINE: +353 (1) 524 2691
    SALES LINE: +353 (1) 524 269

thanks . cant see anyone doing Seimens in the installer ques.

Not a million dollar ques- but when i try to look online i see mostly companies providing HKC installation.
    Looking at some threads here I was inclined to Siemens and GSD (as was interested in wired/hybrid system)but when i google them i dont see much companies and not proper info on these two.

If you shop around you will find plenty.
    Where are you located?
    As I said before. Regarding any product or services I would always be weary of any company who want to install what they want, not what you want.
    If you call GSD they will put you onto plenty of installers in your area. Likewise with Siemens.
    I don't think Boards.ie rules will let me just post up and promote companies installing these.

thanks. Since my house is prewired, so definitely want to take advantage of that. But again want system which can be expanded in future to include cam, if not now.
    HKC is popular , but i think not for what I want coz of future cam option+recurring charges which i dont want.

Looking at the other thread, some words are jargons to me tbh.
    Interested in Siemens and GSD. Any reputed companies installing them?

thanks

HKC have their Cameras for the system on testing.
    Id still be recommending a separate DVR to use with cameras on any setup.

An initial via on an app would be nice though.

• Advertisement

altor wrote: »
    HKC have their Cameras for the system on testing.
    Id still be recommending a separate DVR to use with cameras on any setup.
    Thanks Altor . Yes I have heard that too. I might not go for cameras at the moment - that's what I have decided but will surely want to in near future

Now it would be interesting what would the overall expense between the 3
    Hkc1070 hybrid vs gsd hybrid vs Siemens hybrid

For a standard 3 bhk . That's also an important aspect I would be looking for. Any ideas anyone ?
    Waiting for some quotes for gsd and Siemens . Would wan to avoid hkc to be honey as don't want to pay monthly .

I'd agree with avoiding the monthly charges. If you take it a good system will last 15 years that's a lot of money. (Even without factoring in there are going to be price increases)

Thanks Altor . Yes I have heard that too. I might not go for cameras at the moment - that's what I have decided but will surely want to in near future

Now it would be interesting what would the overall expense between the 3
    Hkc1070 hybrid vs gsd hybrid vs Siemens hybrid

For a standard 3 bhk . That's also an important aspect I would be looking for. Any ideas anyone ?
    Waiting for some quotes for gsd and Siemens . Would wan to avoid hkc to be honey as don't want to pay monthly .

You're welcome, we dont give out prices here re the systems so you would need to contact local installers.
    There is a list of installers on the PSA website here.

Hi
    Had s chat with couple of installers and the one I am getting is GSD i-7-70 which I understand is hybrid . So it will take care of wired needs plus will be getting a wifi card . The guy tried to explain me but being still not so knowledgeable on the subject not sure if I got it all
    Do U guys think the above will be ok for what I am looking for .
    Just came to know now that gsd is also introducing something new in terms of hybrid . Does anyone know what is it? Should I be waiting for it ?
    Should I be getting a GSM SIM card to add to wifi card which the guy is offering ?

Seimens guy gave me a very high quote around 1.2k . For 4320 with ip option.
    No GSM here so that means no text alert or control ? If am right

My req was -I wanted to go for wired , with app and text option as well.
    And option to extend to add cam to the system . Gsd as detailed above looks to be giving me that unless am missing anything .

Apologies if an repeating my questions . Talking to the installers is only confusing me

Both very good panels. The GSD GSM will only give text alerts, no remote control options via text.
    The Siemens GSM will give text and remote control via text.
    The GSD at present is a hybrid system. The i7-70 will give you 7 wired and up to 70 wireless zones.
    Both systems have good apps with no app charges and no subscription charges.

Advertisement