Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Open Match Play 2016

Options
  • 16-02-2016 7:01pm

Just curious if anybody here is planning to enter?

I've never entered a competition like this before so I'm tempted to make this my first. Is it worth while? Judging from what I've read about last years event it seems to get mixed reviews.

I suppose if this isn't a good place to start then where is? I play local club competitions weekly and want to extend my comfort zone a little bit and maybe play at some unfamiliar courses too.

Maybe I'd be better entering open competitions at other clubs?

irishopenmatchplay.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

I noticed a post on this on a Facebook group called "Irish Golf Noticeboard" (can't link sorry but shouldnt be too hard to find on faceache)

Looks like they watching the bandits in this one...I know nothing of the back story so won't comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

lowelife wrote: »
    I noticed a post on this on a Facebook group called "Irish Golf Noticeboard" (can't link sorry but shouldnt be too hard to find on faceache)

Looks like they watching the bandits in this one...I know nothing of the back story so won't comment.

That post on their own website and IGN facebook amounts to a complete waste of time and a missed opportunity to add something meaningful to the debate, it's nothing but lip service that no one in the know can take seriously, there are essentially just passing the buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Played in it a couple of years and never came across any bandits. Was a bit odd they never gave you the full draw so u could see what club u may be playing in thenext round.

Thanks, by bandits I imagine you mean people playing off higher handicaps than their ability?

I thought the GUI brought in new regulations to stop that? You can't increase by more than two shots in a season or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

I plan on playing in this for the craic. I played in a winter version two years ago and came across a 12 handicapper who back in his hey day was off 5. He still looked like a fella who was in his hey day!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Thanks, by bandits I imagine you mean people playing off higher handicaps than their ability?

I thought the GUI brought in new regulations to stop that? You can't increase by more than two shots in a season or something like that?
    Still nothing stopping you getting a handicap and playing nothing but stuff like this and team event's. You just have to play 3 single comps a year to keep it current.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Can only increase by 1 shot this year but as you say this will not flush out the bandit whose handicap is too high already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 carton1

Played in this for the last two years. Well run and seems to be getting moro and more popular .
    I love match play and playing all qualifying matches within your County is a great idea. They do take the issue of bandits very seriously as i know of one guy ( in my club ) who was refunded their entry after some complaints about him . They were well deserved, and the same guy was caught out at our club since and suspended ..... but that's another story !

I played in the finals in Carton house last year. Great tournament , great set up . Very well looked after and having Setanta Sports filming was great craic .

Highly recommend this one and leave the GD events to the bandits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

carton1 wrote: »
    Played in this for the last two years. Well run and seems to be getting moro and more popular .
    I love match play and playing all qualifying matches within your County is a great idea. They do take the issue of bandits very seriously as i know of one guy ( in my club ) who was refunded their entry after some complaints about him . They were well deserved, and the same guy was caught out at our club since and suspended ..... but that's another story !

I played in the finals in Carton house last year. Great tournament , great set up . Very well looked after and having Setanta Sports filming was great craic .

Highly recommend this one and leave the GD events to the bandits

Hmmmm 5 lifetime posts and all relate to this one competition, some thing odd here ??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I agree. carton1, if you want to post about the comp then please PM me before you do. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

ive played in this twice, each year came up against players that were very good. Definitely better than there handicap so much so that i would call them bandits.

I dont see any evidence that it is getting more popular in my county anyway, 3 fourball teams entered each year. im not sure about the singles never played in them.

giving it another go this year, so hopefully we might actually get out of the county this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mickelson

i played in this and didnt think much of it. still dont know what first prize is. very vague rules prizes etc

Advertisement