Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rain! Problems & solutions.

Options
  • 16-02-2016 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭

At the moment forecast for Sat is for rain. I've got good raingear & umbrella. I'm supposed to have waterproof shoes (Jurys still out on their waterproofness) I have two golf gloves, kind of scabby ones but they'll do. I'm probably lucky in that I've never played in rain any worse than a passing light shower.

What can I learn now to prepare?

What problems does rain bring? Eg Grips slippy?
    What simple tips do you have to help? Gloves/no gloves?
    Better to carry bag or trolley it as normal in rain?
    Let's go. Can raingolf be good because I think I actually might be looking forward to it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,869 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

get a pair of rain gloves. well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

It really depends how hard it's raining - if it's constant and heavy then there's only so much you can do. If it's heavy and sporadic I usually bring the following;

Rain hood on bag

Spare towel

Trolley with brolley attachment :D

Rain gloves

Waterproof hat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Seve OB wrote: »

+1. Dont know why I never got a pair before last year. If rain is persistent, give up trying to keep grips dry and just wear the rain gloves. Theyre incredibly effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Are rain gloves just regular waterproof gloves or special gloves left on when striking the ball?

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Ronney

No.1 Make sure you have propper Rain Gear and not just a Wind Sheater type top!

Never Carry always Trolly. Straps on Shoulders and wet bag on back tends to lead to water getting in somewhere. You can get a cover for your bag but its inevitable the clubs will get wet so I wouldn't bother

Gripping the club will always be an issue.
    Decent Grips with a bit of chord hold up well when wet

Rain gloves are an option but some people might not like the Tommy 2 Gloves Approach
    http://www.mcguirksgolf.com/p/footjoy-gents-raingrip-gloves-pair-2014/p-fj3h202men

At least if you normally wear a glove get one that is rain friendly like a Footjoy weathersof. Leave the nice Leather glove at home for a summers day.

Keep a Second Towel inside your Umbrella to dry your grips/Hands etc.

Wear a wool type jumper/tshirt under your wet gear for drying your hand/grip. The modern Synthetic tops are great for summer but sh1te for this

Heavy pair of socks or even 2 pair, nothing worse than wet feet.

Under your wet gear, Tuck your trouser legs into socks to stop your hems soaking up water.

Take more club and hit 3/4 shots. Wet gear can be restrictive and less chance of club slipping

A large hot whisky is mandatory on completion of any wet round!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Ronney

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Are rain gloves just regular waterproof gloves or special gloves left on when striking the ball?

They are a Pair worn all the time

http://www.mcguirksgolf.com/p/footjoy-gents-raingrip-gloves-pair-2014/p-fj3h202men

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭doublecross

I bought a pair of sealskinz waterproof socks. Great investment. Feet stay nice and toasty no matter how wet it gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

+1 on the rain gloves! And using the rain hood on the bag.

I bring my cycling philosophy to golf when it comes to rain - which means, it doesn't matter how good the gear is, the water is going to get in somewhere so you are going to get wet.

Therefore, concentrate on staying warm - a decent merino base layer and windproof trousers and jacket will go a long way to stop the heat being sucked from you even if you get wet.

I also wear a broad brimmed rain hat to make sure any run-off doesn't go down my neck, and carry an extra towel or two so I can dry stuff like grips but also my face (just to feel fresh).

If I think it might stop while you are out on the course - I bring fresh socks - nothing like dry socks to refresh the whole body when you've had a soaking.

I don't generally bother with a brolly because I play on a links and I find the wind just makes carrying a tiresome pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Club up and swing easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

After getting soaked to my skin in my old gear last year, I bit the bullet and invested in a Galvin Green jacket and pants during the summer sales. I played in torrential rain two weeks ago and was damn glad of them, worth every penny.

I have a pair of these too (http://www.macwet.com/products/buy-climatec-long.php) and find them very good in the wet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I stay at home

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Davd

I bought a pair of sealskinz waterproof socks. Great investment. Feet stay nice and toasty no matter how wet it gets.

Where is best place to pick up a pair? Any local retailers?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

Davd wrote: »

A quick google brings up this

http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/index.php?manufacturers_id=113&showall=1

Which appears to be good for B&M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Roof the golf course. :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

lawred2 wrote: »
    I stay at home

I second that, and get great satisfaction when my buddies are called in after 12...soaked:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Seve OB wrote: »

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭doublecross

Davd wrote: »

I picked up a pair in store at http://rdmh.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭delboykelly

Have a good Galvin Green rain suit and it stood up to a good test the other day in the pissing rain. But the bag and contents were soaked. Sick of drying out the contents for days after a round so I purchased this bad boy the other day... Delivery expected next week.

https://shop.sunmountain.com/h2no-lite-cart-bag-18738-detail.html?related_id=18739

Advertisement