Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do RTE do to Eastenders?

Options
  • 16-02-2016 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed that RTE have done something in Processing (to what I think is frame rate) to Eastenders - its jerky when the camera pans across the screen and when the end titles scroll up the screen (is it something to do with Interlacing technique?) - now I only watch it on Sky HD 101 , I havent got Saorview set up, maybe its OK on saorview.

Its got to the point where I dont watch it on Sky 101 now I watch Eastenders on BBC1 NI Sky 141 instead .... where it is smooth and fluid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I have seen that before and wondered the same. Perhaps that is how they get it from BBC Worldwide

If you have Sky,why would you watch it on rte when its on ad free on the beeb?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

zorro2566 wrote: »

I know, I dont watch it on RTE any more - still curious why though it looks like that. - On Thursdays I turn over from BBC NI (141) onto RTE1 (101) for Fair City and eastenders still hasnt finished

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭lertsnim

zorro2566 wrote: »

You'd be surprised how many do. It boggles my mind but half a million watch on RTÉ

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It's been like that for a while now. Same issue on Saorview. It's like the frame rates are off or something.

• Advertisement

Could it be that BBC Worldwide are providing them with a 60Hz copy or something? Would be odd if they do.

Karsini wrote: »
    Could it be that BBC Worldwide are providing them with a 60Hz copy or something? Would be odd if they do.

True - I think there is some similar issue with the (original) Chromecast HDMI adaptor as well and a big frustration with a lot of people in UK and Ireland because that runs at 60hz and people complain the picture is jittery - might be the same thing.

ISTR years ago with 'Cheers' and it was on Ch4 and people were complaining about how it wasnt smooth and I think CH4 said something about it was due to the american 60hz FPS im almost sure.

pretty sure years ago when Eastenders was on RTE1 (when they didnt play the drum bit at the end in Ireland, and people gave out lol) it was OK then and smooth and fluid

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JamesyBelfast

pretty sure years ago when Eastenders was on RTE1 (when they didnt play the drum bit at the end in Ireland, and people gave out lol) it was OK then and smooth and fluid

This change is quite recent - even last year it looked the same on RTE as on BBC. Now it does look like the frame rate is different - or as if a "movie effect" has been applied (which I know is not the case).

I've asked RTE about it. No reply as yet. They probably think I'm bonkers.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭mike2084

The later episodes of Top Gear on RTÉ 2 has this problem too.

• Advertisement

JDxtra wrote: »
    I've asked RTE about it. No reply as yet. They probably think I'm bonkers.

no, not at all, good for you - i reckon you will get an answer one way or another after some time. Got to be something to do with frame rates.

so I done a bit of asking, and have a bit of a run-around, - emailed BBC Worldwide and they said:

Thank you for contacting BBC Worldwide.
    This sounds like either an RTE technical problem or an issue with your Sky+ box, as we have not been made aware of any technical issues resulting from the UK broadcasts of the programme. BBC Worldwide does not have any association with EastEnders in Ireland so we suggest you contact RTE directly using the information on this page; http://www.rte.ie/about/en/information-and-feedback/contact-rte/2012/0220/290072-contact-information/.

Kind regards,
    Comments Team

So then I contacted RTE by email and received this short n sweet reply:

Hi Andy,

This is a question for SKY.

RTÉ Information Office

Email: info@rte.ie Website: www.rte.ie

the quest to find out what is going on ..... continues! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JamesyBelfast

so I done a bit of asking, and have a bit of a run-around, - emailed BBC Worldwide and they said:

Thank you for contacting BBC Worldwide.
    This sounds like either an RTE technical problem or an issue with your Sky+ box, as we have not been made aware of any technical issues resulting from the UK broadcasts of the programme. BBC Worldwide does not have any association with EastEnders in Ireland so we suggest you contact RTE directly using the information on this page; http://www.rte.ie/about/en/information-and-feedback/contact-rte/2012/0220/290072-contact-information/.

Kind regards,
    Comments Team

So then I contacted RTE by email and received this short n sweet reply:

Hi Andy,

This is a question for SKY.

RTÉ Information Office

Email: info@rte.ie Website: www.rte.ie

the quest to find out what is going on ..... continues!

Ridiculous!

Nothing to do with Sky! Problem is on all platforms. I only have rte on saorview and thats where i saw the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Problem is with RTE -any update?

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Problem is with RTE -any update?

no, apart from what RTE wrote back earlier , that its a question for SKY - you know what its like, its one of those issues where everybody passes the buck onto another company and no-body in the end will own up and nothing will be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Most broadcasters have started to use FTP or sending it via the internet instead of sending tapes around the world.

We are having big issues with this from mainly smaller production companies around the world.

You have to have the system set up perfectly to get the best out of the FTP copy. If it is not the right format you have to process it and no matter how great the software is it will degrade the copy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

afatbollix wrote: »
    Most broadcasters have started to use FTP or sending it via the internet instead of sending tapes around the world.

We are having big issues with this from mainly smaller production companies around the world.

You have to have the system set up perfectly to get the best out of the FTP copy. If it is not the right format you have to process it and no matter how great the software is it will degrade the copy.

The BBC?

afatbollix wrote: »

yes that looks like a very plausible explanation, especially maybe (even though i am not a techie in this area) maybe they over process the bit rate or frame rates to make a smaller file size, so it goes over the network quicker and upload and download quicker maybe? - whatever it is I dont like it. I cant watch it on RTE now with it filmed like that. Glad i can get the beeb as an alternative to watch it on instead.

The file RTE download from the BBC is clearly being processed incorrectly. They either need to get the BBC to prepare it in a format they can use, or modify the systems on their side to convert it correctly - or natively support it.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I had noticed it before when I saw credits running on some show. I had assumed it was because RTE had ramped up the fps to allow for an adbreak in between and still keep it within half hour timeslot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement