Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ping G

Options
  • 16-02-2016 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭

Has anyone tried the new Ping G Woods or irons?. Tried a demo 7 iron yesterday and have to say I was very inpressed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Russman

Has anyone tried the new Ping G Woods or irons?. Tried a demo 7 iron yesterday and have to say I was very inpressed.

I was at a Ping demo last week and tried the 7 iron. Like you I was impressed, but I didn't really hit enough shots to really get a feel for it, probably less than 20 - the fitter was convinced the i irons were a better fit so I hit quite a few shaft combinations with those.
    The G irons look much cleaner and more like a golf club than previous versions IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Demo'd the new G driver last week - currently have the G30 but interestingly they fit me into the G LS with the Tour 80X shaft - felt good but very hard to tell how much, if any better than the G30 in a short, free, fitting session. Swing speed definitely seemed to increase with the G(from 106 up to 111) but that could also just have been me getting warmed up?

It's €90 more than the G30 so might be hard for me to justify the upgrade - what I am going to do though is upgrade to the X-stiff shaft as mine is the stiff version at the moment - got a quote from McGuirk's for €60 for a new Tour 80X with adaptor which seems like great value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Demo'd the new G driver last week - currently have the G30 but interestingly they fit me into the G LS with the Tour 80X shaft - felt good but very hard to tell how much, if any better than the G30 in a short, free, fitting session. Swing speed definitely seemed to increase with the G(from 106 up to 111) but that could also just have been me getting warmed up?

It's €90 more than the G30 so might be hard for me to justify the upgrade - what I am going to do though is upgrade to the X-stiff shaft as mine is the stiff version at the moment - got a quote from McGuirk's for €60 for a new Tour 80X with adaptor which seems like great value.

T'will make the club very heavy. The g30 is heavy enough without going to an 80 shaft. Doesn't make sense buying a G driver to gain 5mph swing speed only to give it back by adding weight to the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

T'will make the club very heavy. The g30 is heavy enough without going to an 80 shaft. Doesn't make sense buying a G driver to gain 5mph swing speed only to give it back by adding weight to the club.

Think you must have misunderstood me - I already have the tour 80 but am changing from S to X. I saw a definite increase in SS between my G30 with Tour 80 stiff and the G LS with Tour 80 in X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Think you must have misunderstood me - I already have the tour 80 but am changing from S to X. I saw a definite increase in SS between my G30 with Tour 80 stiff and the G LS with Tour 80 in X

Fair enough 80 is awful heavy though have you tried an X flex in a lighter shaft say 65g.
    I was put in an adilia nv 75 stiff because I had an agressive transition but it takes it out of ya. I smoothed out my swing since and gone with a xcaliber Tour stiff 65g and I like a lot. I'd nearly like to go even lighter again to gain more swing speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

I got a a Ping G30 driver with a 65g shaft and ended up putting an additional 30g weight onto it.. Working out ok

I went for a fitting with my local pro yesterday for the new G driver. Have been playing really well recently especially my iron play (Ping i25) but struggling a bit off the tee (i25 as well).

Hit my own driver first and stats were showing struggling to get a good launch angle in general and not too much difference.

Tried the G driver with Regular shaft by mistake first and this showed an improvement and a reduced dispersion compared to my current driver.

Tried the stiff shaft and improvement again. Swing speed was up around 6mph from my current driver better carry and again accuracy improved. Slight tail to the right but again consistent.

Put the same shaft in the SF Tec head and again the numbers were similar but from the 5/6 drives the dispersion was by far the smallest and flight was straight or 1 yard average from straight over the test. With the weight towards the toe I could almost feel the head being squared naturally.

To check the stats vs reality I hit 3 practice balls off the first tee and all went straight probably landing close enough together. Much better launch angle and consistent strike.

Bye Bye Ping i25. Hello Ping G SF Tec 10 deg, Alta 55 Stiff Shaft.

Advertisement