Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reefs,duck diving,wipeouts,bailing out

Options
  • 16-02-2016 1:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭

I started surfing and bodyboarding reefs on small day's until my car crash in October 2014;hopefully this year I'll get back into it.

When the waves break and you wipe out or bail,is there a slim chance of hitting the reef or does the water cushion you,and you end up rolling with the wave.

It's something I have to overcome maybe.

I was watching guy's surfing the reef between Ballyreen and Fanore,looked like good fun yesterday.

I seen Fergal Smith break a board there during the winter,it's epic when it's working.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I've only hit the reef once and I'd like not to repeat it. Normally it's a heavier wipe out than on a beach but you don't hit the reef, unless you surf crazy sport with cray surfer. Normal people don't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭MACtic

You can always end up on rocks if there's a rip and you're not careful, you're caught inside, etc. It happens. Last year I almost got seriously injured. Had to sacrifice my board to save myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

try to land flat on the water and practice this on a beach break , when you know you're going in just use your limbs to flatten out the body and stop yourself going in like an arrow.

or else cut back over the wave and drop on the back of it.

it is a delicate art and I'm no artist :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

It's simples really

If it's hollow, it's shallow and you will probably bounce off the reef

It's worth checking out what sort reef bed the break works from, is it flat, stepped or jagged or any nasty boulders under neath

Also worth knowing the exist points and the tides the break works on --- shallow reefs stuck dry on certain tides etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Good advice from Rodento, you can definitely hit the bottom i have!
    Give respect it's a much more defined take off point on a reef and tensions can get high when it's busy, definitely take your beating if it goes pair shaped and don't ditch your board. enjoy, the local reef here is so so good when it's working :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement