Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photina Red Robin

Options
  • 16-02-2016 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi there,

Looking for opinion on Photina Red Robin standard trees. I am looking to add a couple to a back garden to provide some year round screening. Local garden centre has some grown standard with round heads. They're pretty small yet, about 6-7 ft. Cost is ok though, 100 each.

If I go for them how long approx to get to 10-12 feet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

Maximus_1 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Looking for opinion on Photina Red Robin standard trees. I am looking to add a couple to a back garden to provide some year round screening. Local garden centre has some grown standard with round heads. They're pretty small yet, about 6-7 ft. Cost is ok though, 100 each.

If I go for them how long approx to get to 10-12 feet?

Photinia 'Red Robin' (once established) can grow up to 30cm. in height in one year, so you're looking at at least five years before they get to the height you want them at.
    I'd certainly contact a few nurseries first before buying from a garden centre; they're going to be a hell of a lot cheaper and most likely larger too. I purchased one from a nursery last year (5ft. high), and it only cost me €60. They're hardy shrubs and should make a lovely evergreen hedge or screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maximus_1

Thanks, do you mind me asking which nursery? I am hunting around nurseries and not having a whole lot of luck yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

Maximus_1 wrote: »
    Thanks, do you mind me asking which nursery? I am hunting around nurseries and not having a whole lot of luck yet

I'm not sure I can name companies here, so I'll PM you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Use the Golden Pages - if you still have one - to find out the nurseries nearby. There can be a substantial difference in price between the two, so even if you have to drive, it'd still be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

can be a bit sensitive depending on the location, mine died :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

When is the best time to cut Red Robin ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maximus_1

As a follow up to this folks I went to a place called Kellys Nursery and found a very good selection of Red Robin trees. They are in Streamstown Co Westmeath, well worth the trip.

Advertisement