Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wordpress help needed

Options
  • 16-02-2016 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi all I have Wordpress which I was using for a blog I found a template I want to use it has a full shopping cart full web page layout all ready to go how do I install it properly?

I got it from Google as a zip when looking for "free ecommerce Wordpress templates"

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Before you do anything, back up your existing site.
    Secondly, is it a template or a plug in? Have you a link to it? It should be straight forwards and have instructions but a link to it will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭info13

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Wordpress.com?

That's not the same as wordpress.org (your own installation).

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭info13

What is the differences in them? sorry bit lost with all.

So how do I use this one? do I need some new account or how to set-up from start I have a hosting plan and 2 domains

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

info13 wrote: »
    What is the differences in them? sorry bit lost with all.

So how do I use this one? do I need some new account or how to set-up from start I have a hosting plan and 2 domains

Wordpress.com - offers free and paid options for a hosted Wordpress blog.
    Upside - it's got some nice features + a community.
    Downside - you're very limited in terms of what you can do with design and plugins etc - you won't be able to install 3rd party plugins or themes

Wordpress.org - your own self-hosted Wordpress site.
    If you have a hosting package with a hosting provider (such as ourselves) this is what you are probably using
    With this you'll be able to install plugins / themes etc.,

Downside - you are responsible for maintaining the site

Also, I'd be very cautious about getting any theme from a 3rd party site unless it was one of the bigger theme suppliers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Have you purchased your own domain and hosting and installed wordpress on it?

Most hosting providers offer one click install options for the popluar CMS options once you have this setup you just need to upload the theme .zip file in the backend of the cms

Appearance -> Themes -> Add new

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Blacknight wrote: »
    Also, I'd be very cautious about getting any theme from a 3rd party site unless it was one of the bigger theme suppliers.
    +10. The link you provides points to one site and the download file is on another site.

Furthermore, and more importantly in my opinion, the theme uses timthumb, a very insecure module for resizing images.

The theme files are also almost 4 years old so the theme may use obsolete functions and practices. I suggest downloading from WordPress Theme Directory - they have all passed some basic checks.

For a free theme - definitely get if from the wordpress theme repository. There are some good free themes in the wild, but there's a lot of malware-ridden tripe too.

Installing is easy and there are lots of guides out there, but getting it to look as good as the theme demo site is another matter.

Advertisement