Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound ID

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭axe2grind

No audio with that. Tech issue that I can't help with

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

axe2grind wrote: »
    No audio with that. Tech issue that I can't help with

Thanks for trying. I can hear it on the phone no problem, and on the desktop with earphones. New phone, must encode the audio funnily or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

I can hear it, just..I thought I had heard most but never anything like that! No idea I'm afraid.. If the audio was clearer might be possible to get a handle on it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sorry, I can't hear anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

I was picking up a bit of something ( but very faintly) towards end of the recording - could it have been a fox calling ? Didn't sound bird-like to me ? Any ideas yourself whyulittle ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Might be better to locate the video file on the phone and upload it as-is. Youtube re-encodes uploaded videos so may have messed up the audio,

I was picking up a bit of something ( but very faintly) towards end of the recording - could it have been a fox calling ? Didn't sound bird-like to me ? Any ideas yourself whyulittle ?

Absolutely no idea other than to start naming things I've spotted there like Raven, Jay, Deer, (Fox almost certainly there too) - wouldn't be surprised if it was from any of those. I've heard it on two different days from the same spot, both times around 3-4pm. It's not any sort of song or chirp; if I had to liken it to anything for those who can't hear it, it would be a Woodpecker drumming BUT only in its tempo! It doesn't sound like an impact, it sounds like it is coming from the throat of some creature.
    Alun wrote: »
    Might be better to locate the video file on the phone and upload it as-is. Youtube re-encodes uploaded videos so may have messed up the audio,

I have put the original unprocessed video here for download. But as I mentioned, I can't even hear it on that video on my desktop without using headphones. I have a few other videos too but that one is the loudest.

I've tried it with earphones at full volume and still can't hear a thing except a bit of rustling when you put your hand on the camera towards the end. If I get time I'll try and extract the audio and put it through some software to amplify it and see if I can hear something then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I get a knocking sound at 17 but to be honest it sounds mechanical.

Here's a greatly amplified version of just the sound track ...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-2mDwjpGUcUNml3d2x5b1lXS00

Like Srameen I can hear something at around 0:17. Sounds like distant gunshots to me.

Can also hear something at 0:05, 0:10, 0:25, and 0:30 that sounds animal like, wouldn't like to say what it is though.

EDIT: The player that the link opens doesn't seem to work. Download it to your PC (download arrow at top of screen) and play from there.

• Advertisement

No, that is a digger at 17 seconds alright, but that's not what I'm on about.

I'll head over again if we get a calm day soon and try to record it with a different device.

Your Google Drive is locked, I've sent a request to access.

whyulittle wrote: »
    No, that is a digger at 17 seconds alright, but that's not what I'm on about.

I'll head over again if we get a calm day soon and try to record it with a different device.

Your Google Drive is locked, I've sent a request to access.
    Sorry about that, try this link instead ...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-2mDwjpGUcUNml3d2x5b1lXS00/view?usp=sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭thyme

A mechanical sound at 16 to 18 and a fox call? through out the video.
    The unprocessed video sounds better to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

I can hear the sounds you mention using headphones, and my initial thought was that it sounds like a Woodpecker drumming, but it's not a percussion sound and is definitely vocalised. It does sound corvid-like and may be the Raven you've seen close by? Fighting or aggressive foxes make sounds known as 'gekkering', and this is an example of what it sounds like (ignore the beginning of the clip and listen to the sounds close to the end): https://soundcloud.com/frangipani24/foxes-gekkering-mp3-extract

The only thing I'd say against Foxes - and this is only from listening to clips online, no first hand experience - is that my sound is very short bursts, and sounds softer to me.

I'm just glad other people can hear it now so I'm not going mad. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

Personally, I don't think this sound is coming from a mammal, and sounds more birdlike to me. I'm surprised others can't hear what we're hearing!

I'd agree, it sounds more bird like to me too.

I was at this site again today, and again heard the noise. It was a little bit more in the distance this time, didn't get a recording of it.

I asked a passerby if he was a regular there and if he had ever heard anything like a woodpecker there. He was a regular but said he hadn't ever heard them, but that he had seen a pair near the wood last year. He was certain they were GSW as he could see the red spot on the head.

Advertisement