Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone 4g PAYG Modem

Options
  • 15-02-2016 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,852 ✭✭✭✭

I want to try Vodafone PAYG 4g Broadband but I can't see a wifi modem on their site. Does anyone know what models are available & how much ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Open to correction but there's just 3G on PAYG broadband. Need bill pay for 4G.

Vodafone Mobile WiFi R209 e39.99

Link:
    http://www.vodafone.ie/dynamic-eshop#product/mbb/vodafone-mobile-wifi-r209/White

This thread may be of interest:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057491575

• Registered Users Posts: 15,852 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I saw that but the wording on their website suggests that it's available. It is in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Yep 4G is for bill pay only on MBB.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

From what I can tell Vodafone issues the same PayG SIM for both phone use and prepay broadband.

When I bought a Vodafone PayG SIM to try out a while back, the registration process asked whether I plan using this SIM in a phone or dongle. As I've a dual SIM phone, I went for the phone option.

I had to choose the 5GB top-up offer and top up by €20 (of which €10 is deducted) to enable 4G. It said it would take up to 48 hours and if I remember right, I was able to use 4G the next day.

Tethering works fine on Vodafone 4G. Unfortunately, I never tested whether 4G works with the SIM in a dongle. I am also not sure if 4G remains enabled if I chose a different top-up offer, e.g. one where I keep all my credit. However, I do remember reading a past thread where someone did this and the 4G continued to work with their SIM in a Huawei B593 router.

Even after going through this process, Vodafone still presents the Mobile Broadband add-ons at the bottom of the "Buy an add on" page:

Vodafone_mbb_addons.png

Unlike other networks, Vodafone requires the matching APN for the data plan, i.e. live.vodafone.com APN for the 5GB bundle and hs.vodafone.ie for the mobile broadband add-ons.

In fact, the APN did catch me out when I tried my SIM in a dongle as it automatically set the hs.vodafone.ie and quickly gobbled €10 of credit in the few minutes I had it in the dongle despite having plenty of data allowance left. I did test it one more time at a later stage in the dongle, making sure I changed the APN to live.vodafone.com and it deducted from my data allowance. However, on the two occasions I tried my SIM in the dongle, I was at home where I only pick up 3G on Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,852 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I did wonder if you could just use a phone sim with a broadband add on in a 593.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

You can use a phone sim in a router or dongle.
    To get 4G you need to be on a 4G plan like €20 data extra or €30 Extra plan I think it's called.

Adding a mobile broadband add on to the account without these plans active on the sim will only work on 3G. Once you add the 4G plan which will cost you money you then buy the mobile broadband add on. Using the data included on the 4G plan you need to have live.vodafone.com as you APN for the mobile broadband APN you need to have it set to hs.vodafone.ie for the mobile broadband add on you bought to work.

Advertisement