Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€4k scrappage - still space for haggling?

Options
  • 15-02-2016 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    We're looking at a new X Trail Prices begin at about 33700 euros. We have an old car that isn't worth 4 grand but under scrappage scheme will get €4k scrappage. The dealer is saying that he can't give anything up on top of this as we get in 4000 for the scrappage, but obviously he's going to say this.
    So I'm wondering how much more can we hang out to try and get a price off, I know it's a kind of how long is a piece of string question what do realistically what do you think?

I asked if we were paying cash what he could do and he said it wouldn't make any difference. The cars seem to be flying out and we might have to order the one we want so does this affect my haggling position too? It shouldn't but in my head it does.
    Thanks in advance,
    Pa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I would say there's little or no room with the scrappage scheme they are offering, especially if they are ordering the car in and it's not something already on the forecourt.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Mintoe

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    We're looking at a new X Trail Prices begin at about 33700 euros. We have an old car that isn't worth 4 grand but under scrappage scheme will get €4k scrappage. The dealer is saying that he can't give anything up on top of this as we get in 4000 for the scrappage, but obviously he's going to say this.
    So I'm wondering how much more can we hang out to try and get a price off, I know it's a kind of how long is a piece of string question what do realistically what do you think?

I asked if we were paying cash what he could do and he said it wouldn't make any difference. The cars seem to be flying out and we might have to order the one we want so does this affect my haggling position too? It shouldn't but in my head it does.
    Thanks in advance,
    Pa

Contrary to the public belief, main dealers don't have huge margins in new car prices. This €4000 discount is subsidised by the manufacturer & That's why you'll see almost every main dealer with a good number of used stock on their forecourt as they often have more profit/margin in used vehicles. New car dealers have high costs and fairly low margins. HOW MUCH MORE THAN €4,000 DISCOUNT DO U REALISTICALLY EXPECT????

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There's usually delivery and related charges and metallic paint on top of the Nissan website price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Mintoe wrote: »
    Contrary to the public belief, main dealers don't have huge margins in new car prices. This €4000 discount is subsidised by the manufacturer & That's why you'll see almost every main dealer with a good number of used stock on their forecourt as they often have more profit/margin in used vehicles. New car dealers have high costs and fairly low margins. HOW MUCH MORE THAN €4,000 DISCOUNT DO U REALISTICALLY EXPECT????

I presume that the scrappage is coming from the manufacturer and not the dealer so the dealer still has their same profit margin. From that I thought that there should be some haggling/discount possibility. BUT I WASN'T SURE HOW MUCH MORE COULD BE HAGGLED/DISCOUNTED OFF SO THAT'S WHY I WAS ASKING.

It's not a €4k discount either; the car I'm trading in as part of the scrappage is worth about €1.7k so it's a €1.3k discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

I presume that the scrappage is coming from the manufacturer and not the dealer so the dealer still has their same profit margin. From that I thought that there should be some haggling/discount possibility. BUT I WASN'T SURE HOW MUCH MORE COULD BE HAGGLED/DISCOUNTED OFF SO THAT'S WHY I WAS ASKING.

It's not a €4k discount either; the car I'm trading in as part of the scrappage is worth about €1.7k so it's a €1.3k discount.

€2.3k

• Advertisement

It's not an extra €4K off what you would normally get.

What car are you trading in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

All discounts are from the manufacturer.

Some are dressed up as high trade-in values, others as cash discounts.

If your car is of small value, then the dealer is simply going to sell it through the trade for about €500 - €800. (you may think it has a value of 1.7k, but trade sale will be far lower)

Your best bet is to sell the car though an auction and ask for best cash price from dealer on the new car. - Maybe try the best cash price angle witha different dealer first - you'll find best cash price is very similar in most places.

As above, dealer margins are very small, but they do get rebates based on hitting targets (same in many retail areas) and this is where their real profit lies.

To give an idea - I'm looking at Kia Sorento. Was offered 22k trade in on current car, but auction place reckons I'll get at least 20k on auction.

Cash price discount offered on sorento is 3750. So when I change next month, car will go to auction with reserve of 19k and anythignover that is a bonus.

Most of these deals only work if you actually trade a car in though. They don't give you all the money off on a straight deal.
    I know Kia aren't doing scrappage. But in the case of Nissan, you need a qualifying trade in.
    Agree with everything above ref trade in value.

I'm trading in a 2005 Volvo S40, petrol, 220,000km. Full leather interior, in very good condition. I've checked on Carzone and they vary from €3,900 to €1,900. So maybe selling privately I'd get €3k for it.

I'll look into what they'd offer me for straight cash only purchase.

the trade price of your Volvo would be cery low given it's age. it's a catch 22 as if you sell you don't get the scrappage but it males it very handy to compare straight deals across brands

• Advertisement

Update: deal done, managed to get an extra €1,200 off on top of the €4,000, delivery to Galway, fancy mays & full tank of diesel. (the delivery etc are probably standard)
    I'm happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Update: deal done, managed to get an extra €1,200 off on top of the €4,000, delivery to Galway, fancy mays & full tank of diesel. (the delivery etc are probably standard)
    I'm happy with that.

Excellent deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'm happy with that.

You did very well, did you have to haggle hard or was it reasonably ok? How is the X Trail?

You did very well, did you have to haggle hard or was it reasonably ok? How is the X Trail?

A fair bit but all done over 2 phone calls, no actual face to face meetings! (dealer in different county).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

A fair bit but all done over 2 phone calls, no actual face to face meetings! (dealer in different county).

Fairplay!

Advertisement