Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longer term?

Options
  • 15-02-2016 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

Was thinking about how this is our best chance in over 30 years to win the league. Whilst that's fantastic I am a little worried about the clubs ability to keep our key players and coach.

For instance, remember when Liverpool nearly won it 2 years ago and it was pretty much accepted that it was now or never for them (Gerrard getting on, Suarez likely to leave etc...)

How well is this Spurs team insulated from being destroyed by 'bigger' clubs tempting players/coach away?.
    How can the club prevent this from happening and continue to develop this squad?

Sorry about the negativity, I just want this season to be the beginning of something special long term and not just a brief period of brilliance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Was thinking about how this is our best chance in over 30 years to win the league. Whilst that's fantastic I am a little worried about the clubs ability to keep our key players and coach.

For instance, remember when Liverpool nearly won it 2 years ago and it was pretty much accepted that it was now or never for them (Gerrard getting on, Suarez likely to leave etc...)

How well is this Spurs team insulated from being destroyed by 'bigger' clubs tempting players/coach away?.
    How can the club prevent this from happening and continue to develop this squad?

Sorry about the negativity, I just want this season to be the beginning of something special long term and not just a brief period of brilliance

I think we are in a much better position now than Liverpool were ... we have a young core of players who have time on their hands .... no need to make any rash movements to other teams (especially our rivals in the EPL) or even abroad.

They all have the potential to fulfill their dreams where they are now ... as long as we keep this management team in place and Levy etc let him do his job .. i think we will be just fine.

What with the new stadium coming up as well .... I can't see anyone wanting to leave ..

*Although would you turn down £80m for Kane,Alli or Dier etc :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I reckon the club will have to revisit its wage structure in the summer to ensure nobody is tempted away by some money waving cúnts like Utd, City or Chelsea

it would break my heart to see this great side unravel over money

I've seen so many false dawns over the years but there's some real substance within us now
    It's a great time to be a Spurs supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

I reckon the club will have to revisit its wage structure in the summer to ensure nobody is tempted away by some money waving cúnts like Utd, City or Chelsea

it would break my heart to see this great side unravel over money

I've seen so many false dawns over the years but there's some real substance within us now
    It's a great time to be a Spurs supporter.

The players will come and go ..we have seen that in the past ... i think no matter what ..if someone offered us £80m for Alli tomorrow it would be very hard to turn down .. thats the financial realistics unfortunately ... but i would have faith in Poch and his team finding the right replacement that would not disrupt the team ...

In the past we had relied on Bale to win games ... when he went we struggled ..Liverpool found the same thing when Suarez went ... i think as a team we are much stronger now with goals coming from anywhere and anyone ... One man no longer makes the team... (apart from Poch)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

The wage structure argument is valid, maybe not now but possibly in the summer or next year. We can't expect to keep our best players and not want to pay them 100k or more, especially with hopefully CL football next season and a new stadium too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

It's not a bad question DublinSpur, and worth talking about.

Hatch is right about wages, they are a major factor in keeping and attracting top players.

I don't know the exact financial capabilities of the club, but given recent remarks by Poch, I'd be surprised if we choose to upscale our wage structure in the next few years. You would hope that if we could become an established Champions League club (getting ahead of ourselves I know) that we could start to pay Champions League wages. But the financial burden of the new stadium might scupper that plan for the next 5 or 10 years. I don't know. Maybe there is a contingency in place to allow for higher wages.

At the end of the day, if Real or Barca want one of our players, the chances are they chances are they will go. We have to make sure they're on a long contract, offer them the highest wages we can afford, and convince them this club is going places. If that doesn't work, which it probably won't, we have to make sure we get an exorbitant fee for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Have no fear lads, the TV money is going to come close to balancing everything out. Also, the bigger teams can't buy everybody and they tend to go with glamour over substance anyway. The only players we would need worry about are Kane & Alli and, not alone are they already on long term contracts but there is plenty of scope to up their wedge and extend the contracts. A full PL squad is 25 players. With a couple on 'development' contacts (Onomoah, Winks, Carroll?), 10 squad players, 6 first team players and 6 'stars' , you could have the developers on £20K a week (probably too high except for Carroll), the squad players on £40K a week, first team players on £60 and the stars on an average of £100K a week and you'd have change out of £75M which is only about half the TV money never mind gate receipts, sponsorship, Cup money (European and domestic) etc

I know there a lot of other expenses in running a club and there is a ground to pay for but investing in on-field success will generate it's own income and it is not like Enic don't understand money. We have a negative net spend over the last five seasons. Even taking the Bale money out, you are still talking about less than £20M every year (and it unlikely we would have invested in Soldado or Lamela without it). A couple of years ago I would have been frightened at the investment in a new ground but, not only is the TV money ridiculous now, but because of it we could clear a massive chunk of the debt by selling Alli & Kane which seems absolutely crazy but it is a fact, particularly if they go on to star for England.

First priority though should be to get Pochettino on an extended contract for the £6-7M that the big clubs throw around. At worst, we would get massive compensation for him, at best he will continue to turn youngsters into superstars.

I'd be more worried about Lloris than anyone else... He's so important...keeping him for the next 4 or 5 years would be massive

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Hopefully Poch can convince any players that might have their heads turned that being part of something big at Tottenham i.e. CL football,chasing titles and a new stadium is way better in the long run then being bought to warm the bench at the likes of Chelsea and City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

First things first. Now that we see we have a right man in Poch we badly need to up his salary and match what the other clubs will offer him.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Indeed, If things go tits up for Jose (which they very well might) and Poch keeps us at this level or even a little below it he'd surely be on their radar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

If the likes of Vertongen and Eriksen sign new contracts it will be a good omen I think,I would presume they would get some assurance from poch that he would be staying on before they sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Hatch99 wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about Lloris than anyone else... He's so important...keeping him for the next 4 or 5 years would be massive

Although im a huge fan of Hugo.....Best keeper we've had in donkeys....

The likes of Butland and Forster in 3 years time would be nice.

No chance...neither could lace his boots, maybe Butland if he develops well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Butland has huge potential.

Forster is a good keeper, but he's only 2 years younger than Hugo, so don't think he's ever gonna be better than him.

Ormus wrote: »
    Butland has huge potential.

Forster is a good keeper, but he's only 2 years younger than Hugo, so don't think he's ever gonna be better than him.

Potential yes... But we have the real deal in Hugo, very hard to replace if he was sold

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I think Poch is the most important.

Looking at Southampton and how everyone swooned over their players when Poch was in charge. Who out of Shaw, Lallana, Schneirderlin and Lovren has fulfilled their 20m+ price tag since leaving Poch?

Hopefully our players realise the above and want to stay and win things under Pochettino as long as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

I think Poch is the most important.

Looking at Southampton and how everyone swooned over their players when Poch was in charge. Who out of Shaw, Lallana, Schneirderlin and Lovren has fulfilled their 20m+ price tag since leaving Poch?

Hopefully our players realise the above and want to stay and win things under Pochettino as long as possible!

This is the key point I think. Everybody thought the players were great at Southampton and there is definitely great talent there but I think now that he has done it again at Spurs its clear Poch is the differentiator. He is adding that "team magic" that doesnt come around very often. Not unlike Man U in their first PL winning team. Not many superstars in there but it was the ultimate team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

slegs wrote: »
    This is the key point I think. Everybody thought the players were great at Southampton and there is definitely great talent there but I think now that he has done it again at Spurs its clear Poch is the differentiator. He is adding that "team magic" that doesnt come around very often. Not unlike Man U in their first PL winning team. Not many superstars in there but it was the ultimate team.

More than one United fan has described this to me as our class of 92.

Advertisement